Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Of course they can. I would. The argument that many seem to have trouble grasping is that, when actual audible differences occur, they are due to very mundane factors and are easily disposed of.
ooops, wrote the wrong thing, It's edited...

If there are differences due to other 'mundane' factors, the test is not neutral. You are right though, once these 'mundane factors' are corrected - or at least applied equally, audible differences do not exist.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Of course they can. I would. The argument that many seem to have trouble grasping is that, when actual audible differences occur, they are due to very mundane factors and are easily disposed of.

Yes indeed. I wish that people would stop unfairly accusing others that 'they cannot hear a difference between cables'. Of cours 'we' can. I have heard lots of differences between cables. But I could explain them on the basis of measurements. Its easy to hear differnces with those speaker cables, forget the brand, with the 'boxes' on each end, because they are so pathalogical that they mess with both freq response and freq dependent damping.
It is so simple do deliberately mess with a cable so as to make it sound different to a good red homedepot cable. And if you like that sound, by all means plunk down your cash. But the difference between well designed cables with reasonable R, C, L? Haven;t heard it yet. YMMV.

And no, I have not yet heard differences between burned in and not burned in cables. So far ;)

jd

Objective tests are made all the time in well controlled and valid conditions. NO ONE has yet been able to show that a difference can be heard between a $10K cable, and a twenty dollar cable of the same length and gauge.
The objective proof has been made hundreds if not thousands of times.

As I have for almost 20 years now, I await any citation better than a loaded audio club demonstration by a biased test administrator who tells his subjects which answer is correct and which a delusion before group testing.
You sound certain to be the one to make my dreams comes true. 'Hundreds if not thousands' you say?

@sy,

In that case I would argue that you suffer from hearing problems and would counsel that you indergo a proper investigation as soon as possible to establish scientifically how far your hearing may vary from accepted norms. Although I can (just) accept your appeal to technical and scientific norms, I cannot accept the subjective reports which you sometimes have given.;)

@all:
Seriously though, I would suggest that anyone, especially those who have lived for 40+ years and who make strong subjective claims should have such tests as ones opinions may well be unique due to undiscovered hearing problems. I now have an annual check - next one is on 5 January. Well worth it just to see how much treble roll-off one is suffering from BEFORE spending a lot of money on new ribbon tweeters!! syn08 has admitted that he does not trust his hearing, he has some real reason why he has to trust his technical designs.:)

..." loaded audio club demonstration by a biased test administrator who tells his subjects which answer is correct and which a delusion before group testing. "
Such bias would (and has been shown to) preclude objective results. In a double blind test, neither the administrator, or the subject(s) - no one - can know 'which is which' hence the term - 'Double Blind' There can be no bias or 'loading' for the test to be valid.

@sy,

In that case I would argue that you suffer from hearing problems and would counsel that you indergo a proper investigation as soon as possible to establish scientifically how far your hearing may vary from accepted norms. Although I can (just) accept your appeal to technical and scientific norms, I cannot accept the subjective reports which you sometimes have given.;)

Speak up, son, why are you mumbling?

<snip>

Objective tests are made all the time in well controlled and valid conditions. NO ONE has yet been able to show that a difference can be heard between a $10K cable, and a twenty dollar cable of the same length and gauge.
The objective proof has been made hundreds if not thousands of times.
<snip>

Beside the price tag, which is irrelevant in this discussion, for statistical reasons it is highly unprobable that "hundreds if not thousands" of tests do exists. Otherwise we would have most likely a lot of positive test results (maybe false positives) :)

Last edited:
If you believe the properties of cable are changeable, and these "conduction" issues are real, would the idea of an amp (or device) that applies a low level HF "bias" signal across the output terminals of the amp sound like madness or not. Perhaps somewhere in the 60 to 200 khz range, amplitude perhaps 20 to 100 mv rms say.

Um, you wouldn't be suggesting a class D amplifier would you?

Oaty, several people have made the remarkable assertion that the "vibes" of a skeptic can suddenly turn the test subject deaf. This has been asserted, of course, with no evidence, just an unsourced, unreferenced "IQ test" that may or may not have happened sometime, somewhere, with some unknown protocol.

In this viewpoint, it's not a matter of the skeptic knowing or not knowing what the answer for a particular trial is, it's the projection of the attitude that there won't be any significant detection. Of course, the one guy here who has enough confidence in his own abilities to be willing to submit to a reasonably controlled test doesn't seem to mind having me around for it. Most of the others just like doing the Superior Dance without putting their beliefs to the test.

So true, SY. Your vibes would be impossible to overcome. All you have to do is confuse the subject, not know the answers. Don't worry everyone, ANY meaningful evidence would be suppressed at the peer review level, by those who control the publication.

A long way of saying, "I have zero, zip, nada, nichts, for evidence. Wahhhhh!" Be more like TG1954- man up, stand up for your beliefs, put them to the test.

Oaty, several people have made the remarkable assertion that the "vibes" of a skeptic can suddenly turn the test subject deaf.

You seem to be making the remarkable claim that administrator behaviour has no impact on test validity up until they actively and physically interfere with the protocol. I see the consequences maintaining the opposite has on, for example, Randi's work but if high end audio designers can be part of the entertainment industry that's doubly true of magicians.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.