Building with the Soekris dam1121

Joined 2009
Paid Member
soren its not about that reclocking its about the galvanic isolation so both i2s and Optical input goes through galvanic isolators?
I have a scenario to connect it to Raspberry pi but Pi i2s. Its said Pi doesnt have clean power supply or high quality regulators and hence the noise is passed to i2s as well.

At the same time the USB also passes noise to the later stages so i just had a doubt regarding the galvanic isolation being universal to the dam inputs?

There are lots of opinions about digital noise.... Galvanic isolation is always good, but you can also get far with reclocking, seperate analog power and observing good grounding and shielding.

A doubt regarding the 1121. As it has following power supplies

+V5D+ for Digital I assume the limit is about 5V or may be 5.2V max

+V5A+
-V5A-
Is for analog section especially for the ladder power supply.
I think the ladder is being powered by and opamp so what is the max power supply for the opamp? or I have a situation that my discrete regulator cannot go less than +/-6.5V

I agree the supply for digital cannot exceed may be 5.2V but the analog supply might be less than 7V?

The dam1121 datasheet spec say 4.5V to 5.5V so that is what it is. The vref opamps are actually 5V types so 6.5V is beyond manufacturers specs.

My implementation is pretty straightforward:

PC (8-ch crossover/delays/DRC) -> USBstreamer I2S out -> 4 x dam1021 (bitclock and wordclock in parallel).

There's some suspicion of sync issues in this config, I can't hear it, so you're probably right that several boards sync within one wordclock period. Can be verified with impulse response measurements.

Many people would like to implement crossovers with a 2-channel source and multiple DAMs, but it's currently impossible to manage delays/time alignment due to hardware limitations of the dam1021/1121.

Anyone else with active crossover/multichannel setup? :cool:

What software are you using to generate the filters?

Edit: I see this was answered on the following page. Has anyone had success using USBStreamer/multiple DAM with Acourate?

Finally got around to trying the 1121. Straightforward setup as a basic stereo unit and playing fine.

However, I can't get the serial port to produce anything but gibberish.

I use HyperTerm as my default but also tried RealTerm and PuTTY - same result.

If I remove the 1121 and connect a 1021 all works as it should.

It seems to be connected properly as, on bootup, it outputs gibberish and if I change tracks more gibberish. I have tried with/without a ground wire, have tried all the Display options in RealTerm (ANSI, ASCII etc), tried the invert option in RealTerm, tried a different power supply on the 1121, tried different conspeeds on the terminal/PC.

Am I missing something here....