Building new Speakers from old Cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for the long delay guys, but I work in a "critical" industry and got pulled into one of our plants doing 12 hour shifts to help cover a processing deck. Things are starting to get back to normal and I finally have some time for stuff other than work.

It's given me a chance to rethink these speakers and I am now leaning towards sealed enclosures for a little bit tighter base. I figure 12" woofers are probably pretty good in a sealed enclosure and I can always add a port later if I am disappointed.

For the mids and tweeters, I'm thinking sticking with Dayton Audio stuff. Specifically a DC130B-8 5 1/4" for the mids and DC28F-8 1-1/8" silk dome tweeters. These would be used with my DC300-8 12" woofers.

My naive/oversimplified reasoning for selecting these components are:
1. I already have the woofers
2. Staying with the same manufacturer for all drivers will help insure a more cohesive sound.

3. All drivers are 8 ohm
4. All drivers are 89-90 dB in sensitivity
5. There are 2 octaves of crossover between the tweeter and mid and 5 octaves crossover between the mid and woofer
6. the mids and tweeters are affordable.

I'm hoping the above will make the crossover design relatively simple, since this is what I am most nervous about.

My next step is to order the mids and tweeters and work on the new baffles.

once I get that together I will probably just play with them hooking up one driver at a time to see what it sounds like. When I get bored with that I will tackle the crossovers (probably in the Fall).

I found some plastic flower pots on A##### that look like they were made to be midrange isolation enclosures. Do a search for "Pure Garden Set of 4 plastic flower pots" $10 for four of them too. They do not have any drain holes in the bottom, but it will be easy to drill one the correct size.

So, does this make sense or am I way off track? If so, what can this noob do better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.