Building first speaker using DEQX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a bit of an Aussi get together here.

Therefore, I'm happy to share that I also am a happy DEQX user since a month or so. Speakers I use are these:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Bass unit is Eton 12-680/62HEX, mid is Accuton C2-90 and tweeters are Accuton C2-12. I have ordered a pair of C2-24 to try out in the near future.. :D

Pics are a bit older and show my analog 24dB/oct active crossover in stead of DEQX. I use a 6-channel Classé CAV-150 for amplifcation, and a Wadia 16 as CD transport.

Compared to my analog crossover, the DEQX is a major quantum leap forward. The experience of the actual event during recording is so much more intense. The DEQX allows me to really look into the recording and manages to communicate what the artist intended.
For me, this is definitely the way to go.

I must say that after upgrading to the most recent beta version software and V63 firmware I found the unit perform much better. Higher degree of reality and clarity.

I agree with earlier made comments regarding the choice of speakers: it seems nuts to cut costs on speaker units and cabinet construction when you apply a DEQX. Also, I made sure to have the cleanest possible bass response. Hence, a closed box. The DEQX can manage frequency irregularities, but not the phenomenon of time-smeared radiation of stored resonance energy. Applying a closed box yields very realistic and dry bass. I guess an open baffle with sufficient headroom will give good results as well.
In my speaker design I further focused on low distortion and pistonic behaviour from 20Hz to 20kHz. The only cost saving I made was using "normal" ceramic tweeters in stead of the D2-20 diamond tweeters. :ashamed: Shame on me... :xeye:

More pics on cabinet construction are available here. :smash:

welcome to the club-or should I say I wish I was in your club WOW they look fabulous!!!

Will definitely read your construction thread later, I'm currently 'designing' a look alike Stradivari for mine.

Have you done much playing around with x-over points and slopes etc, and if so what are the things you have noticed??

Whilst all those capabilities of the deqx are obviously important and fantastic, for me the true icing on the cake is the three paras available on the remote for fine tuning the recording if need be, eq on the fly. Boy, doesn't that help when the recording demands!

Thanks for posting:)

Thanks. :shy:

I have been doing quite some playing around with x-over points, especially between woofer and mid. Between tweeter and mid I also varied a bit, but didn't notice huge differences yet. So there's still some matter to be researched. ;)

Between woof and mid it's quite critical to set up the right cross over frequency, because the mid starts to distort considerably below approx. 280 Hz.

Right now I cross at 370HZ, which works fine.

As I see it now, there is a frequency above which speaker calibration happens, and below that frequency room correction takes over. Right now, I have chose 400Hz for this frequency, which works fine. In the beginning, I chose that frequency too low, and then an unnatural sound image is the result. Does anybody have different experiences with this setting of speaker correction frequency band and room correction frequency band?

Furthermore, I prefer steep slopes to "lower order slopes" (still 48dB/oct). I have the impression, that the sound becomes cleaner with steeper filters. At 48dB/oct, there is a kind of graininess to the sound. At the moment, I have set up 100dB/oct. If I go to really steep slopes (like 300dB/oct.) the software starts to complain that it is not possible to realise the profile in the allowed time delay. Increasing that setting (I think the default is 6ms) does not solve the problem.

Until now, I only used speaker calibration and room correction. I haven't been playing with the parametric equaliser yet.

So there is still a lot to learn. I'm also looking into different digital connections between CD transport and DEQX. I tried a vdHul EAS-EBU 110 Ohm Professional, two types of Oehlbach SP/DIF interconnects, a piece of generic antenna coax cable and a piece of RG-59/U 75 Ohms coax and couldn't tell any difference between them.

The DEQX supplier in Holland is very enthousiastic about a Harmonic Technology reference digital interlink, but for the moment I don't see a reason yet to be enthousiastic about it. Maybe the Wadia makes that cables don't matter, I don't know. Since I also have a Proceed CDP-3, I put this player on top of my rack to do some comparisons between the two transports and to see wether the Proceed is more sensitive to different interconnect cables.

This morning I took some pics of the current set-up:

Sorry Obiwan, you would be WAY behind me in the queue if I was up to work of that standard!!

I had the same problem with the bass/mid xover point, in an earlier incarnation the cone separated from the surround due to excessive excursion:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: , I hasten to add that it was setup by someone else who crossed them WAY too low. He had them originally at around 110 hz, and I now cross them at 300 hz, so as you can see that is a huge difference. (It's amazing what referring to the manufacturers website can tell you heh heh).

I do everything in my power to not use more than seven bands of eq in the room correction phase (and to be honest you shouldn't really need much more) in order to maintain the three bands on the remote. It is an absolutely marvellous and useful tool.

I must make a confession here, I don't really like the results using the room correction function of the deqx, I find the automated function leaves a lot to be desired, although of course it is better than nothing!

I always measure the room response using another program and the manually correct the response. The fact that (at the moment) the deqx can't measure it's own correction means it's best to use an external program, correct the bass room response and then check the results, and tweak if needed.

I get a little wary about correcting too much higher than say 150 hz, a quick listening test usually shows whether or not it is working in that particular room.

An absolutely beautiful result on your speakers fgroen (can you explain what that means, is it your name??), I only hope I can begin to approach that standard when I get onto mine!!

Thanks for the compliments guys!

fgroen is actually the first initial of my first name linked with my family name (groen).

Yesterday evening I compared the Wadia transport with the Proceed, and was surprised by the difference. The proceed displays an image that appears to be "vertically stretched" and lacks depth with respect to the Wadia. Also finesse is lacking, the proceed sounds slightly coarser that the Wadia.

Next step is comparing different cables using the Proceed to see wether that makes any difference. I can imagine that if the transport is not optimal, different cables might have different masking effects. I'll see.

Thanks also for the hint regarding room correction. I'll try some tests this week-end!!

You are all going to laugh at me, but at the moment my transport is a 'quality' dvd, mp3, kodak picture player, cd player etc etc from the local Big W, all for the grand price of $119 ha ha ha. The reason I got it was before the deqx I used the behringer dcx 2496 to get the tri amp thing going, and of course the dcx does not have a volume control so I just grabbed the cheapest thing available which had a vol on the remote.

Of course I have since learnt that by controlling vol that way you are throwing away bits and so losing resolution. (that might explain why I always had the volume high hah!)

Anyway, the reason I mentioned all that is because I had talked myself into the mindset that the source really wouldn't make much difference, because we are going straight digital into the deqx, doing the magic and then using the d/a converters of the deqx.

I had figured that the main difference between source units would be in the d/a's, and not much difference would appear elsewhere.

fgroen then throws a spanner in the works and mentions his experiment between different sources!!!:bawling: :bawling:

Soooo, fgroen, I am assuming you are bypassing the source d/a's?? and are going straight digital in to the deqx and if so, then it is clearly obvious that I need to seriously reconsider my thoughts about the source!!! (boo hoo, I'm such a cheapskate and don't really want to spend a lot of money on new players!)

By the way, fgroen, what measurement program did you use prior to the deqx?? (and until otherwise corrected I am going to call you Frank!! to save typing fgroen all the time)

terry j said:
You are all going to laugh at me, but at the moment my transport is a 'quality' dvd, mp3, kodak picture player, cd player etc etc from the local Big W, all for the grand price of $119 ha ha ha. The reason I got it was before the deqx I used the behringer dcx 2496 to get the tri amp thing going, and of course the dcx does not have a volume control so I just grabbed the cheapest thing available which had a vol on the remote.

Of course I have since learnt that by controlling vol that way you are throwing away bits and so losing resolution. (that might explain why I always had the volume high hah!)

Anyway, the reason I mentioned all that is because I had talked myself into the mindset that the source really wouldn't make much difference, because we are going straight digital into the deqx, doing the magic and then using the d/a converters of the deqx.

I had figured that the main difference between source units would be in the d/a's, and not much difference would appear elsewhere.

fgroen then throws a spanner in the works and mentions his experiment between different sources!!!:bawling: :bawling:

Soooo, fgroen, I am assuming you are bypassing the source d/a's?? and are going straight digital in to the deqx and if so, then it is clearly obvious that I need to seriously reconsider my thoughts about the source!!! (boo hoo, I'm such a cheapskate and don't really want to spend a lot of money on new players!)

By the way, fgroen, what measurement program did you use prior to the deqx?? (and until otherwise corrected I am going to call you Frank!! to save typing fgroen all the time)

:D :D :D :D :D

First name is Fokke. (by the way, fgroen is 6 characters, Frank only 5, also hitting 6 keys is written with a capital f ;) )

I use my Wadia as a digital source indeed, bypassing it's delicate Digimaster D/A algorithm. :xeye: I found that the overall result is better than using an analog connection between Cd player and DEQX (with a very good balanced vdHul MC Gold interlink).

I'll throw in some more spanners, as my experiments regarding sources are not done yet. :bomb:

I took off from the mind set that the digital source would make some difference, as also within CD players the transport plays a key role. However, the difference between Proceed and Wadia was unexpectedly noticable.

I also thought that the connection between CD transport and DEQX would play a minor role. As long as the cable has a decent shield, nothing can disturb the bits going from transport to DEQX, I thought. Early experiments with budget cables underlined that, since I didn't hear any noticable differences between a pair of Oehlbach cables, a piece of RG-59/U, a vdHul AES/EBU 110Ohm and a piece of straight forward antenna cable.

Turned out, that "bad" digital cables all perform badly in the same way, with very small differences. Unlike analog interlinks that don't sound right, and all sound very different from each other.

Last week-end I had a Siltech HF9-G3 SE digital interlink, and that cable showed me what I was missing. At first, I noticed that the cable sounded definitely different from all others, but couldn't put the finger on it. After a while in dawned on me: this Siltech cable sounds much more analog. Comparing it with the vdHul (was easy because I just made an AES/EBU connection with the vdHul and an SP/DIF connection parallel with the Siltech, so I could switch from one to the other using the remote control) revealed a sort of "digital haze" when listening through the vdHul, where the Siltech showed a much cleaner and more analog sounding image. Especially with voices the difference was flagrant. The suggestion of having someone singing in the listening room was so much more stronger. Listening through the vdHul made me think that there was some sound source in the space that could resemble a singer.

So my quest is open to find a digital interconnect that most pleases me. Also, seen the prices of these appear to be non-negligable, my plans tpo place the DEQX close to speakers and power amp while having the sources closer to the listening position go out of the window. :bawling:

I might have a stereo rack on offer soon... :D

Hi terry j

I have recently both a DVD universal Player OPPO HD 270 ($ 310) .I Compare to my CD player MYRYAD MCD 600 ($ 4000) which I’m using as a digital source and there is no audio different of the price difference. To put this in other words I have had a lot friends at my place and they could not pick up which player was playing. Nevertheless the different was bigger when play back using analog outs on both players but when using DEQX we don’t need it anymore. This is just a thought if you want to get a really good a cheep player with DEQX. It is really that good.
Cheers

Hi fgroen

Nice pictures they look like Avalon speakers I mean the design also the drivers. I was always wondering how much better if are the diamond series drivers? I’m also building a pair of speakers and was going to used the ceramic drivers from Accuton but decided to go for PHL 1220 as my designer was suggesting Phl as it works better with his Ribbon Tweeter Raal 15 140D.
You are obviously using some good sources and so on…. As for the digital I have tried some cables also with Twist222 and find that OYAIDE - SL 110 AD is very good indeed (as well as analog interconnect) This is a balance cable I have been using Osborn Silverlink RCA and have no find better yet I was so happy with it as I have both it for digital purposes only and now I have all my setup hooked with them analog as well digital
Cheers

Following is a link to a pretty impressive diy 3 way with Accuton mids and DEQX crossovers:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=40509.10

I've read on multiple forums that modding the DEQX, particularly replacing the standard caps with Black Gates or similar, really opens the unit up.

I used a Behringer unit and found it a bit "tinny" and "tizzy" from the midrange on up ... sort of like an mp3 compression hardness or haze ... I had it modded by Reference and it improved markedly. Based on my experience I would not put a stock Behringer in the chain above the subs in a very high end system.

As for transports and cables, I recently found that a laptop feeding uncompressed bits to a high end USB to Coax converter from Empirical Audio beat my very high end transport. If you could feed the DEQX via it's USB that'd be pretty interesting.

AndrewT said:
HI, does the deqx need a modification to pull in audio data via USB or does it not have a usb?
As far as I know the dcx2496 has no usb.

It does have a USB connection. (also an RS-232, but USB is recommended for speed reasons)

The connection is basically used to control the unit from the PC, read measurement data from the DEQX (all intelligent calculation work is done off line in the PC) and set up the DEQX (download profiles and EQ settings into the DEQX). Furthermore, the current profiles and EQ settings can be backed up from the DEQX. That kind of sums it up.
;)

no no no blackgate
it's terrible.

the nx series "might" be okay don't know about signal path
just tried the on decoupling the supply.

F type is particularly junk,you can do better if you turn on your equipment all the time, but imo better choose other alternative.

the accuton diamond driver sound much better than the ceramic ones, I heard them before.

hi guys

my computer has been playing up and is only now back and running...

Hi Fokke, much better to use names isn't it??? Now yopu have gone and thrown a spanner in the works with cables and interconnects,,, my poor little head is spinning and I told you i was a cheapskate!!!

Thanks Jiri, I missed that your system had a deqx when you posted back in Aus, must pay more attention next time. I will jump on to your comments about using a cheaper source-fits in nicely with my 'pay no more than have to' philosophy.

What time frame are you looking at for your new speakers jiri?? IIRC you have sonus fabers ATM?

Speaking of Sonus Fabers, I am just embarking on a rebuild of my speakers, which are inspired by the wide baffle Sonus Faber Stradivari. Will hopefully start a build thread on them soon, but before then I have to find my drawing program i downloaded earlier, it seems to have been 'lost' in the clean up and reconfigure that the computer has undergone recently aarrgh

Hi terry j

With my mains I’m using Aurum Cantum Leisure 2 SE which is currently for a sale and ordered a pair of Osborn F2 with the titan tweeter. I do have to mention that these are just temporally as I’m building a custom made speakers currently designed by Alex from (Raal)

It will be MTM bookshelf speakers using 1 of Raal 140 15D Ribbon tweeter and 2 of PHL 1220 Mid/bass drivers. The box is going to be a bit complicated as it will use Outside 909Subdue ply (23mm) which is special made plywood it is basically a 2 sheets of ply and in the middle 5 mm wave bar to decrease sound wave (press and glue).The inside of the cabinet is going to be from 27 Hardwood Armorply.As you can gather the thickness of all walls is going to be 50mm and very heavy.To make things more complicate or interesting is that it will have 3 separated chambers for each driver. Both Mid/range will used closed transmission line on the rear like BMW nautilus or Vanderstien.I also will use V4SC constrained layer damping tiles for vibration damping on all inside walls. I think and hope this is going to be really good speakers in some ways priceless as there is just handful companies which are building speakers in similar way in regards of wood and design and they are usually way over $00000 brackets which is no easy to afford. BTW the rough weight of this bookshelf’s is going to exceed 130KG as we change to different thickness of hardwood ply.
Hope to have it finish this year but I doubt it
JiriAu

I'll have to check, but is that the same ribbon that shinobiwan is using in his latest masterpiece??

I presume that Raal is building them over in Yugoslavia? if so, it would cost more for the shipping than it does to build them!!

Can I ask how the design process went? Seems like Pat from War audio could have done a very similar job, he distributes PHL and would have something similar in the way of ribbons, like Raven.

By the way, this is not some sort of criticism of the way you went, indeed it is more like a validation of what you will be getting if it is worth the 'effort' of the route you took.

Will have to pop in if I ever get to Brisbane!!

The 'stradivari inspired' speakers I will be getting onto soon runs PHL bass and mids, so I have got a little idea of the type of sound you will be getting.

Hi jerry j

Yep you are right it is the same as shinobiwan used in his project the speakers did come quiet nice I think.

I presume that Raal is building them over in Yugoslavia?

Yes Alex is building them in Yugoslavia.

If so, it would cost more for the shipping than it does to build them!!

I don’t know what do you mean by that but as a reference point they cost me about AU$1300 for a pair delivered.

Can I ask how the design process went? Seems like Pat from War audio could have done a very similar job, he distributes PHL and would have something similar in the way of ribbons, like Raven.

The process is still in progress. I don’t know if Pat could do the same job but I have seen one of his sketches and they were very simple comparing to Alex Design.
Pat likes Accuton drivers with his Raven Ribbons. Alex recommends PHL with Raal Ribbons.
I was going to buy the Raven R3 from Pat but than I have change my mind as for mine first pair did not want to spend $ 4000 just for the tweeters. Maybe the next set if finances available.

If you are in Brisbane just give me a call you are welcome.

Do you know the models of those drivers (PHL’s)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.