• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Building an open embedded audio applicance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So two things:
1) The mpd 0.18.9 does not seems to fix the pops between tracks problem.

2) The default I2S configuration of Volumio works with BII until you do not try to change sample rate, then it does not work any more. Looks like the DAC does not understand that the sample rate changed. Russ configuration works even if you omit the first line.

All tested with Volumio b1.2

Davide

The pi actually has plenty of processing power - even to do DSD. :)

Still I completely agree that the BBB is a far better platform.

I just happen to have the pi working right now. :) And as I said, it sounds spectacular.

Hi Russ,

I had posted on your forums a while back about the Technologic Systems ARM boards. (Link:
Single Board Computers, Computer-on-Modules, Touch Panel Computers, PC/104 Peripherals, Enclosures, and Carrier Boards for Embedded Systems - Technologic Systems) You mentioned that they looked very interesting and would have no issued connecting I2S to on of your DACs.

Have you looked at any of these of late? They're more expensive than a Pi but seem much better designed. They offer a range of boards and support Debian out of the box. Their engineering team told me that modifications to their existing designing are possible with with low costs engineering charges, should a custom audiophile SBC be popular for a group buy. But they do offer single quantities, which is rare in the industrial SBC world

I've recently purchased the TS-7700, TS-7700 Ultra-compact Format with High Performance - Technologic Systems, but haven't had time to put it through its paces.

ts-7700.gif

Thoughts?

Nick
h

Thoughts?

I tried this little experiment with my pi->i2s->sabre dac using volumio os, but didn't work.
I didn't do any changes in the software like Russ suggested, because at the volumio website it is stated that volumio works with i2s. So i just enabled it in the settings.
But unfortunately it didn't work.

Besides the three i2s pins do I need to connect anything else? There is a 5V pin on the P5 header and I also noticed that right next to it there is a regulator. Do I need to supply 5v at that pin?

@palmito& mvaldes Thanks guys!

Problem solved, it was stupid....I hadn't ground connected, I had connected only the three i2s pins. Normally it would work, but here comes the stupid part. Because I am using two completely separate psu, there was no ground connection between dac-pi.

Sometimes the simplest mistakes are the most difficult to spot....

BTW, I'm using the latest volumio that is uploaded on the website (1.2beta) and i2s works.

Last edited:
That does look really cool. I will take another look - but I still think the BBB and cape may be more practical at the moment.

Russ, thanks for the reply. Please take a look at the rest of their site. They are very open with their designs and open source. All their tools are user space with code provided, IIRC. No NDA just to purchase a board. They will sell single quantities direct to a consumer. I ordered my 7700 and had it in a couple days.

Long term, I think an SBC offered by Twisted Pear for connection to your DAC would make sense and be great.

Nick

miero, thanks again.
I took a quick look at your instructions. Very concise and clear. (forgive my following questions -I am a unix beginner:))

- If booting from the internal eMMC, I just mount the boot partition of the eMMC (/dev/mmcblk0p1) in order to append uEnv.txt?
- Where does the name ES9018 come from for device 0?
- Can the loading of the driver be automated/permanent?

glt, to your questions:

- the /dev/mmcblk0p1 seems to be always current boot sector
- the "ES9018" is currently hardcoded in the davinci-botic.c (will be changed later)
- put the following command into some script executed at the boot:
eval 'echo BB-BONE-BOTIC1 > /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots'
- the "capemgr.enable_partno" in the uEnv.txt cannot be used, because it does not work with loadable modules

The BeagleBoardDebian now works too. I've updated driver package and instructions.

Seems to be a better choice than Angstrom -- more packages, although graphics seems bit slower it seems.

I've tested only via Ethernet only. Please try the USB wifi...

My USB wireless keyboard with touchpad seems to interrupt a played sound.

Nevertheless - Enjoy!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.