Building a 2X15 guitar cab. help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Yea i ordered the corners,casters and handles and stuff off line the other day, just waiting for them to ship.

yea it is bulky and heavy but thats what friends are for , they will help me carry it :)

i couldnt really make it any smaller without cutting it to close from the speakers to the bracing. But i only made it 2 inchs wider than most 4X12 cabs.

Ill have it carpeted up and finished within a week.

peace

Andronico. U should make a seperate thread regarding your travel guitar, I am making exactly that as we speak;)

As for the 2x15 I personally likd the old school vintagish original, but understand the need to make your own...I can never leave well enuff alone myself.
How do u like the 2x15 sound? I have a couple of 15" jensens and have been wanting to make a cab for them. Just need more hours in the day....

It actually sounds better than i thought it would. The 2X15's own, i can turn it up halfway and i can easily overpower the drums. and it sill sounds really clear and full. and the highs sound pretty mint to.

Just gotta find a nice looking grill for it. then start working on the 2X12 cab.

Interesting thread! I've done similar for a couple of 15" run by the amp on top in the pic which I play bass through. My Spider 212 has been 'de-capitated' (it was too heavy for me as one box) so now its a head and a separate cab. I occasionally run the (stereo) head through both the 8 Ohm Celestion 12" speakers and the two Eminence 15" speakers by presenting 16 Ohms to each of the two 8 Ohm sockets on the Spider. The 2x15" cab weighs in at a hefty 60 KG made up of two separate smaller cabinets each holding a 15" screwed inside a larger cabinet. Despite being heavy its easy to move around as I built a kind-of tilt-and-push 'sack barrow' arrangement onto the back.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/losaavedra/MUSIC/ALLGEAR4.jpg

Ah, found a pic of the back of the 2 x 15" cab with the wheelie attachment (old wheelchair parts!). The sockets on the back enable different speaker configurations ... Left panel: upper 8 Ohm 15" jack on left, lower 8 Ohm 15" jack on right. Right panel: On-feeds, left socket (breaks into upper 15" loop) enables patch-in of an 8 Ohm 12" outrigger to yield 16 Ohm load. Right socket does the same for other side of stereo pair. All cab walls are 3.2 cm thick (two lots of 1.6 mm MDF glued and screwed together). The bottom is fitted with a chunk of 'sacrificial' (i.e. replaceable) chipboard so the thing sits flat on the ground when not being wheeled around. I was tempted to fit spikes to the bottom ... but few venues appreciate their floors having holes dug in them!!!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/losaavedra/MUSIC/BASTABA1.jpg

73 dual showman loaded 2x15 cab

Hey Guys i just bought an old 73 dual showman 2X15 loaded cab with the jbl d140 speakers ...

i have two 40 watt amps one with 1X12 the other with 2X10

they both have a 2 and 4 ohm selector

i bought this cab because i like the sound of 15s
but now i realize that im under powering the 15s am i screwed ?

please help

Ty

Alright i have had the cab working flawlessly for 2 years since the last post. been sometime.

And about a month ago my guitar head blew. for the past 2 years ive only been playing out of 1 output on my spider 3 hd150 head. so im not sure why it didnt blow 2 years ago.

I am getting it repaired AGAIN! but this time im rewiring my cab with 1 input to each speaker. they will be 16ohms instead of 8. but atleast i wont blow my head again.

Any suggestions for wiring this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.