Buffalo Tweaking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not going to feed the animosity that these recent posts demonstrate - just to say you are making a lot of assumptions about the final layout of the board before the final layout is done!!

I know about using bypass caps as close to the PS pins as possible in any HF design. I said on the other thread that I consider the PS to be the most important aspect in realising the full potential of this DAC - I think the PS importance is evidenced in the posts in this thread which have reported improvements in changes to the existing PS on the Buffalo!

Jkeny,

Any animosity you perceive would have to be your own, as I have demonstrated and hold none toward you or anyone else really :). In fact despite your perception I am actually trying to help you and anyone else reading.

If you are happy with your design choices, then I am happy with you. :) I just would not make them nor would I be honest if I did not say so. Most people would not bother to correct you. They are content to watch people crash and burn. You have had a few people now repeat what I have told you. Is it starting to reach you?

It won't matter what sort of supply you have if your routing is long to the supply pins and the routing is not short short short. It is the load you need to concentrate on more than the supply at least in this case.

Cheers!
Russ

John,

Glad to hear your experiments are progressing. Please keep us informed.

In our off-line converstaions, you've made it quite clear that you understand the importance of local decoupling. I'm aware there are some "tricks" available - I've used one or two myself - so I'll look forward to seeing the final product.

Dan

Also, lets please be clear since you seem to be confusing two topics. The advice I have put out was not at all about power supply. No my cordial friend, it is about critical layout details regarding decoupling and bypass caps. Also The careful routing of the data and analog signals. There is no "good" way to solve these issues with a protoboard. A protoboard is for convenience, not optimal routing.

Now if you have some killer way of getting around those issues, hey that's great. I am sure many of us would love to see that solution. But if you don't no amount of tweaking in other regards is going to fix the DAC.

jkeny said:
Soundcheck, whoever said I wasn't a nice guy - show me & I'll take there head off :smash:

Nobody said that. I had the feeling that some people (especially some manufactures) might be a bit bothered about your enthusiasm. ;) (Didn't we have that discussion before - DejaVu?)

Hmmh. I didn't get your sarcasm earlier. I really thought you'd be converted. ;)

jkeny said:
I won't "advise" Russ about the Buffalo PS - just look at the postings on this thread - that should be enough!

We will see how the proto board works out - as I said I have an open mind so let's not expend any more hot air - it's too warm where I am at the moment

Oh, that's just dodging my question - I didn't ask 'what advice do you have for Russ' rather I asked what you're proposing (for yourself).

I've looked over the thread - noticed you querying his use of the LT regs - are you going to try shunts in place of them?

Yeah, I didn't read your original post carefully enough, you're right.

Now I have and I find that it doesn't discuss power supplies at all just I/V stages.

Quite a lot later on you mention you're going to use an eneloop battery for the 1.2V supply, but no mention of what kinds of batteries for the other supplies. Which ones are you gonna try - more eneloops ? I'm curious because I can't think right now what battery gives a 3.3V output. So a solution with 'no regs, just caps' as you say would to me be kinda cool.

jkeny said:
I will be running this on batteries so each Sabre analog & digital supply from a separate battery (4 batteries - DVCC_T; DVCC_B; AVCC_L; AVCC_R) & each 1.2V from an eneloop battery (3 batteries) - no regulators, just caps.

abraxalito said:
Given those long traces to the DAC on your protoboard, why would you bother with battery supplies at all, since all the parasitic inductance will create plenty of undesirable PSU noise?

.......Both Russ and I are telling it like it is. That's friendly even if there are others who don't want to listen. If you don't enjoy being exposed to the facts, there are plenty of other things in this world for you to get up to - no need to stick around here!

..... So a solution with 'no regs, just caps' as you say would to me be kinda cool.[/B]

Jeez that's some turn-around in opinion - what happened to you?

Your quotes above show you rowing in with Russ to say that this effort is pretty useless - do I have to spell it out for you?

Originally posted by abraxalito
No prickliness evident in Russ' reply - he's just telling you some straight facts - for example about decoupling - which you probably are loathe to hear. Given those long traces to the DAC on your protoboard, why would you bother with battery supplies at all, since all the parasitic inductance will create plenty of undesirable PSU noise?

Originally posted by abraxalito
I'm curious because I can't think right now what battery gives a 3.3V output. So a solution with 'no regs, just caps' as you say would to me be kinda cool.

So now you want to find out all about the batteries I'm using - I don't think so!
Ask Russ, I'm sure he knows all there is to know about these DACs and how to power them!

Edit: Hint be a bit more mannerly & show him some respect when asking the question as he gets a bit prickly, you know!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.