• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 1 on the SPDIF switch indicates the switch number. In a multiple position switch, you would see 1 2 3 4 etc. The ON indicates the actual ON position.

For S/PDIF input you want the switch set to ON, with signal going to the SPDIF and GND input terminals (make sure these are not reversed).

The VD supply should be set to 5VDC, and the analog supply(s) should be at +-15VDC.

ersoy said:
Hi scanspeakman,
thanks for the reply. So it should be on "On" position, right?

yess! I'm listening to it now!
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the way you people put up with us newbies and are always so willing to help.

Thanks again.

That caught me out as well, caused a few frantic minutes!

Had a quick listen, and I'm very impressed with the new '32. Lovely sound, very musical.

Best indication? Feet and Hands tapping away!

Re: Buffalo24 dac finished

xaudiox said:
Hi Guys,

I just want to share my build.. I bought the buffalo dac last year.. but only finish it today after working on it the whole day.. :D

thanks

Nice layout, nice box... I'm interested in that box, who's? How big?

I have a Buff24 with IVY, Volumite, TOSLINK, have been looking at those nice extruded aluminum Hammond cases, but don't think I could squeeze it all in and the transformers... :( I could go two boxes... would prefer not to.

Thanks!

Jon

My Buffalo24 (Finally!)

Hey all, I finally got around to finishing up my Buffalo24 in a nice enclosure - it sounds great, and I also happen to think it looks pretty decent as well, if I do say so myself.

Here are the innards:
Pic1.jpg

And here are the outards:
Pic2.jpg
Pic3.jpg

And then, here it is in action in my setup:
Pic4.jpg

Feel free to offer any comments if something looks wrong with how everything is hooked up. Thanks to Russ and Brian for all the hard work they put into the design!

-Bob

I saw the Buffalo24 on Twisted Pear Parts Bin and i suddenly orederd one.
I received it and i have to say that it's a really well done piece of electronics, thanks to Brian and Russ.
I always am very eager so to have quickly something playing i built a PSU with two lm317 and all that i had in my home so i get 5.9 VDC for VD and 6.9 VDC for VA.
For now i don't have an I/V stage and so i connected the buffalo out to the primary of a 1:1 (600ohm:600ohm) transformer (monacor ltr-110) with a load of 10Kohm on the secondary and from there the rca out to my pre (opa2134 buffer + pga2310).
I really like the reults of this preliminary implementation (in terms of sound quality). I also have an unpopulated ivy board with only the opamp soldered and when i found the right components i can make a comparison.

I would like to ask to Russ and Brian (and to anyone who want to answer) two questions:
1) are the values for VD and VA OK even if different from the recommended ones?
2) keeping this transformer output stage (i know that you consider this a suboptimal solution) are there some better way to couple it to the buffalo (a better impedance matching on the primary and/or secondary)

Ciao
Andrea

Attachments

• buffalo-photo.jpg
    buffalo-photo.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 652
How did you made the white lettering? It is difficult to source.

The front and rear panels were done by Front Panel Express - they did a great job, their software is easy to use, and they have great customer service. I used my own material (Par-Metal enclosure) and had to change my design a couple times after submitting my order, and they still managed to get everything right!

Can you comment on the sound difference between single ended input and AES/EBU? I have pondered doing that upgrade, but I am not sure if the upgrade will be worth the $ in the end.

Actually, I don't currently have any AES/EBU sources to test it with - but I was using the mux anyway to deal with multiple sources, so I figured I'd add it just in case I do in the future. It's easier to add the extra feature now than to realize later that I need it and have to hack things up to make it work.

I saw the Buffalo24 on Twisted Pear Parts Bin and i suddenly orederd one.
I received it and i have to say that it's a really well done piece of electronics, thanks to Brian and Russ.
I always am very eager so to have quickly something playing i built a PSU with two lm317 and all that i had in my home so i get 5.9 VDC for VD and 6.9 VDC for VA.
For now i don't have an I/V stage and so i connected the buffalo out to the primary of a 1:1 (600ohm:600ohm) transformer (monacor ltr-110) with a load of 10Kohm on the secondary and from there the rca out to my pre (opa2134 buffer + pga2310).
I really like the reults of this preliminary implementation (in terms of sound quality). I also have an unpopulated ivy board with only the opamp soldered and when i found the right components i can make a comparison.

I would like to ask to Russ and Brian (and to anyone who want to answer) two questions:
1) are the values for VD and VA OK even if different from the recommended ones?
2) keeping this transformer output stage (i know that you consider this a suboptimal solution) are there some better way to couple it to the buffalo (a better impedance matching on the primary and/or secondary)

Ciao
Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I am sorry to be late to respond.

The voltages are just fine.

A transformer output works just fine. Just remember not to reference the primaries to GND, but only connect to the differential outputs.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Andrea,

I am sorry to be late to respond.

The voltages are just fine.

A transformer output works just fine. Just remember not to reference the primaries to GND, but only connect to the differential outputs.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ,
thanks for your answer.

I connected the transformer primary to the differential out of the buffalo as you said (it can be seen on the attached photo) and the sound quality is really good, but i have a little hum noise that is evident only without music and at max volume.
The transformer has center taps on primary and secondary which for now are unconnected, maybe i can connect this ct in some way to eliminate this problem?

Another question: i have some problem with 96K on spdif input, maybe i have to bypass the comparator and use ttl spdif as you said somewhere (don't remember)?

Thanks

Ciao
Andrea

Another question: i have some problem with 96K on spdif input, maybe i have to bypass the comparator and use ttl spdif as you said somewhere (don't remember)?

If you look at the comparator chip, it has either C20 or C19 written on it. C19 is the faster version, C20 is the slower version. I can send you the faster version if you need it, or swap it out for you if you want.

If you look at the comparator chip, it has either C20 or C19 written on it. C19 is the faster version, C20 is the slower version. I can send you the faster version if you need it, or swap it out for you if you want.

Thanks Brian

When i come back to home i see which comparator is on my buffalo

Anyway i think to bypass it as i use toslink, i only have to found a TORX at 3.3V or maybe a logic chip with 3.3V PS and 5V tolerant inputs to use with my TORX (it seems to me that the ES9008 wants 3.3v ttl for spdif input - right?)

Ciao
Andrea

Andrea
I think your hum will go away when you dac is in a case and all your connections shortened up.
I wish I had tried the transformer thing when I had the Buff24, I used the IVY and it was pretty good. I am now using the Buff32 and its sweet, waiting for the Placid for another kick up the ladder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.