• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lundahl transfo

I asked this question some time ago.
I can't find the thread but Ross said he didn't much like transformers and that maybe the primary/secondary ratios would need careful consideration.
The RAKK DAC uses a transfo for I/V but the buffalo/IVY sounds a lot better.
There are still transformers in my setup as inputs to the RAKK valve pre-amp.

Hey folks! Just a quick question about the LCBPS that comes with the Buffalo...... Can the LCBPS be run just with the + voltage? As in no AC power connected to the - half of the supply?

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work - but then again, I am just a solder monkey rather than an electronics engineer.

Cheers! :)

Bgt said:
Just finished my buffalo and it sounds great. Pictures later.
Comparing it to my 2xOpus+Metronome+2x Balsie shows very little difference in sound quality. Ofcourse I have to listen to more music to give a final judgement. Big pro with buffalo ofcourse is less pcb's/space/energy.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

glt, my opus has the 8740 chips. The buffalo does it better with less hardware. Energy= 4,3VA(measured on mains input) in full action. 4,2VA without input signal. Toroid is 7VA.

And just a preview of what Buffalo buyers might be in for...... my completed (for now) Buffalo build.

At a glance.....
Double fused, filtered, DPDT switched IEC inlet
OTTO switching coax and optical inputs
LEDs switch with inputs
Buffalo with switch 3 set low
IVY built exactly as supplied
Two transformers, 15VA 2x0-15V and 30VA 2x0-12V
LCDPS at +7.5x2 for Buffalo
LCBPS at +7.5 for OTTO and TOSLINK
LCBPS at ±15 for IVY

Everything might seem a bit haphazard and space poorly utilised, but it is actually carefully thought out for significant expansion and upgrade. Specifically, I eventually plan for......
OTTO to be replaced by a SPDIF MUX
Extra coax input
USB receiver at the front on the right
Discrete I/V modules on either side of the IVY
IVY to become just a balanced to unbalanced converter
Upgrade to the new shunt regulator power supplies

How does it sound? From the unbalanced outputs into my MMM and ATH-AD900, bloody fantastic really. I don't have any other high end sources to compare it to, but this really does do it for me.

So to Russ, Brian...... you guys rock. Keep up the good work, and I will do my best to keep buying your stuff.

For everyone else, get your buying fingers ready. It really is worth the effort! :)

BrianDonegan said:
I really didn't mean this to be so complicated.

Tonight (Firday) at 8:00pm my time (Eastern US) is midnight GMT (Saturday).

Tomorrow (Saturday) at 8:00am my time is Noon GMT (Saturday).

One of these two times should be good for most folks. Hope this makes sense.

I think what throws us Europeans off is the AM and PM thing as we dont use that here. Ill be up late tonight with my credit card finger cocked and loaded :)

Beefy said:
Two transformers, 15VA 2x0-15V and 30VA 2x0-12V

Hey Beefy, I see that you are running an extra LCBPS for accesories, and I assume thats why the second transformer is rated at 30VA (not sure?). So does that mean the standard Buffalo + IVY layout will require two 15VA 2x0-15V transformers, or one 15VA 2x0-15V and one 15VA 2x0-12V? Just want to make sure the details are battened down before orders open up, thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.