Bravox woofer new project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all been a little bit since my last post.

I am working on a pair of two-ways using a 8 inch Poly cone stamped Bravox woofer and a Vifa D27TG-35.

I have full specs and measurements on the Vifa but all I have on the Bravox is this.

Bravox poly cone, 8", 8 ohms.

Sensitivity is 90 db,

The graph shows, this speaker is useable up to 3khz, where it falls off .

FS: 43.5

VAS .9914 cft / 28.086 L

Re 7.4 ohms

Qts 4597

Qes .5986

Qms 1.9799

Rm 31.9515

Le .8976 mhy

Bl 9.65

mm. 27.515 g

Anybody have any info(Like real world measurements hehe.) on the Bravox stamped frame poly cone woofer.I say real world because this chart came from an ebay seller eheh not too sure about that now.

Also I have heard a good crossover frequency for the Vifa is 2-2.5k ?I am planning on 2nd order Xover.

Attachments

• bravfreq2.jpg
    bravfreq2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 374
I decided last night to try a 2.2khz Linkiwitz-Reily in the raw to get an idea how these Bravoxs do sound.(I am an impatient little bugger.)

I say raw because I have no solid measurements of the Bravox and I havent even countersunk the drivers yet.

Image below shows my basic Xover nothing special air inductors and mylar caps.

Well I do know why I missed the midrange of a larger driver.I had been listening to a pair of Vifa 5" MTMs I had done several years ago.And while they may image great they lacked presence with vocals.

Something an 8" driver seems to find hard to do.These Bravox do sound good no muddiness(I have heard many a muddy cheap 8)
and I can't detect any resonances or spikes that would say something bad about these.

I did hear the standing waves in the cabinets though I had not put anything in the boxes so they are empty lol.

I think I am going to stick with the 2.2khz over and finish the rest first.

Anybody can recommend a good method for countersinking in plywood routerless?
Hammer and chisel?

How about internal dampening materials recommendations?(I feel a bit out of touch it's been a few years since my last serious project.

I do have a sub in the works dual sealed 15" for low end but thats for another post.

I will post pics shortly as I need to get a new CF reader.

Attachments

• xover1.jpg
    xover1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 284
Well there is one bone I'd like to pick with Vifa on this d27tg-35.

Cheap terminals I turned up the volume and heard crackling and pulled out the left tweeter to find the terminal had cracked off on the negative side nice.

The connector seems too thin and wispy for a quality product.They do sound good though oh well.

Your's seems to be a nice project.
I just finished a xover for a Vifa. Also with an 8".

bickeler said:
I decided last night to try a 2.2khz Linkiwitz-Reily in the raw to get an idea how these Bravoxs do sound.(I am an impatient little bugger.)

Me to (Linkwitz-Riley) on that post, for the woofer at least.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1446700#post1446700

bickeler said:

How about internal dampening materials recommendations?(I feel a bit out of touch it's been a few years since my last serious project.

I also have a project waiting on my (mothers) dinning table for two years to grow to a final stage.

Some people say that this tweeter can be very harsh, if the x-over is not well adapted to it I think.

I can't say it sounds harsh just the opposite smooth and well silky lol.

But i'm one of these people who have always preferred silk over metal domes.

I think that largely comes from listening to some bad speakers with metal domes though.

I did build a pair of 2-ways years ago from the MCM closeout bin with the 8" inverted woofer and thrifty titanium dome tweeter and that was tasty.

I guess it works better with an RC damper on the woofer that your's is missing.
I think your cap on the woofer is to small. Your tweeter is missing "treble", to low. Your inductor on the tweeter should be of less value.

What size is your baffle? for cheking on other parameters, etc.

It should give 87dB trough wall the "frequency spectrum" after twicks. At least were the xover freqs. cross. And I'm pointing at 2k5.

Attenuation is missing on the tweeter (+/-) 6dB's.

Woofer compensation RC damper circuits ,are needed if voice coil inductance is more than crossover inductance yes?Do you think it need s one?

The Baffle is 12x17 inches.

Why do you think the cap is too large that's what tallies at 2.2khz for a Linkwitz-Reily 2nd order at least on paper?

bickeler said:
Woofer compensation RC damper circuits ,are needed if voice coil inductance is more than crossover inductance yes?Do you think it needs one?

That's a rule of thumb. Yes.
It is needed for correction of the woofer's upper frequency impedance rise because is unacceptably high at almost 7dB.

Attachments

• picwo_1.gif
    picwo_1.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 177
bickeler said:

Why do you think the cap is too large that's what tallies at 2.2khz for a Linkwitz-Reily 2nd order at least on paper?

Because it looks more like a straight line were it should be crossing the woofer, and is in it's stop band around 1K what is dangerous because of the resonant frequency at around 650Hz (some people relate with fs=950Hz for this model in some instances).

The overlap band is not good.

Attachments

• pictw_2.gif
    pictw_2.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 142
I see so this is what would work better then what I have been using.

To be honest it's a little confusing because I did not seem to consider the woofer's upper frequency impedance rise and the this in relation to the D27tg-35.

Hmm well I guess I'll have to start digging out my xover parts.

I appreciate your input it has been illuminating.I will assemble this and we shall see.

It does sound rather good very clean midrange.The Vifas sound ok very detailed for the money in this project I can't complain at all.

I have a few pics of the cabinets they not 100 percent finished (More sanding ,paint and clear coat)

Attachments

• 82way_1.jpg
    82way_1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 92
Here's a list of my costs so far.

Bravox 8 inch woofer pair ebay $50

Vifa D27tg-35 Free (Came out of a tossed 3 way not mine lol)

Crossover components Lot off ebay 3 years ago cost $25 (ANd I've used it for other things)

5/16 Threaded rod x4 $13.00

5/16 nuts x 16 $1.40

5/16 washers x 16 $1.40

1/2" Baltic Birch Plywood 2 sheets 4'x3' $28

15oz Wood glue $3.27

50 Drywall screws $1.99

2 cans Black paint $3.24

2 cans Polyurethane $12.92

Total $140.22

Attachments

• 82way_3.jpg
    82way_3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 72
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.