Bought a Tektronix 556 today, any tips?

I bought a 556 this morning. It has 5 extra modules and the stock tilt cart too and all the probes and manuals. Is it a good Oscope

Attachments

• 00000_fEoMuND0Qts_1200x900.jpg
    00000_fEoMuND0Qts_1200x900.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 309
I bought a 556 this morning. It has 5 extra modules and the stock tilt cart too and all the probes and manuals. Is it a good Oscope

If you haven't already downloaded the manual, here's a link.

https://archive.org/details/tektronix_556

It's a fine old scope. My main issue would be the size and power consumption and the fact of some tubes in it. Looks to be 50 MHz so it's way overkill for audio and baseband SD video. Borderline for analog HD video. Have fun with it.

gather all the manuals.
i'd recommend going through the calibration procedure even if you don't have the supporting gear you'll learn a bunch. Don't actually turn any pots inside unless you have accurate tools matching or exceeding the test procedures gear list.

These old scopes, being analogue, are a pleasure to use. The digital scopes are awful, I’ve been given several and I got rid of ‘em when the opportunity arose. Maybe some of these low cost digital scopes are better nowadays, I’d consider one, they seem to be leaning back towards analogue style controls. But I’m in no hurry, I’m happy waiting for my old Leader scope to warm up, sometimes with a CRACK inside it when something has to arc it’s way to being fully awake.

“Any tips?” - just one, use it and become familiar with it.