BoSoZ stepped attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stepped attenuator vs POT

If I may ask these questions re the same subject:

1.) What are the advantage of using a stepped attenuator in place of a POT ?
2.) If I can only get a 10k for P3/P4, must I change value of R11/R12, if so what value?
3.) Is it O.K. to use 10k instead of 5k for P3/P4?

(All these for BoSoZ)
Thanx

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Brian,
I think a kit is a great idea, with costs savings for everyone.
I think you should offer it as a parts kit with a burned and tested chip, and as an assembled item with only resistors missing.

Something like the John Pomann kit:

http://www.snippets.org/filters/crossover.htm#details

I also can't imagine anyone complaining if you add a bit of profit for you and your roomate, since it will be a LOT of work.
Others will confirm that just mailing out PCB's like you did before is a hassle. Add assembling and testing, and you will need to be reimbursed. The value of this kit is pretty exciting- lots of volume steps, readout, remote, etc.

It addresses a lot of issues the DIY preamp (son of Dork) was concerned with. Perhaps the DIY preamp people can concentrate on the audio circuit, and use your board as the controls.

Maybe in the future you could add slave boards for multi channel/ biamp control, and remote input select. At the moment a stereo, self contained board that can be connected into the circuit as easily as a stereo pot, sounds perfect

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Variac said:
Brian,
I think a kit is a great idea, with costs savings for everyone.
I think you should offer it as a parts kit with a burned and tested chip, and as an assembled item with only resistors missing.

Alright, I am currently talking with my roommate and we are trying to decide if this is going to work, and the best way to implement this. I will make a seperate thread for this in a bit, for suggestions and ideas for carrying this out.

The whole issue that I am not sure about now is cost. The version that I have been planning on making for myself will cost about $250 (with out chassis), since I am using a $100 vfd, and a $50 optical decoder. I am going to integrate this into the same chassis as my bosoz.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.