Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

If DK is out, turning to the dark side of MAK in Queens/NYC might be an option.

They've got both the J201 and the K1530 listed as Sale (sell-out) items, $4.25 each at 10 to a thou.
($2.78 average for the J200 and K1529, resp. 10 and 40 minimum)

The Jamaica Av. brothas appear to have a JS degree in semis, but even at 70% tax Natcie surcharges they've served me better, more often, than MCM Newark did.

Would be interesting to hear what the current pre-order score is, btw.

If DK is out, turning to the dark side of MAK in Queens/NYC might be an option.

They've got both the J201 and the K1530 listed as Sale (sell-out) items, $4.25 each at 10 to a thou.
($2.78 average for the J200 and K1529, resp. 10 and 40 minimum)

The Jamaica Av. brothas appear to have a JS degree in semis, but even at 70% tax Natcie surcharges they've served me better, more often, than MCM Newark did.

Would be interesting to hear what the current pre-order score is, btw.

Hi jacco,

Who are these MAK guys and where is their web site?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi David,

Funny you should ask. A complete construction article on the DM will appear in the inaugural issue of Jan Didden's new magazine "Linear Audio", due out in September. Go to Linear Audio | your tech audio resource for details.

Jan has collected quite a group of authors for this issue and it will probably be a classic.

Jan and I will be sharing a table at RMAF where we'll have copies of Linear Audio and my book. For those who have not been to RMAF, I highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks Bob.

I building up my test bench arsenal right now. Like many DIYers I can only afford top of the line vintage gear. The DM will come in very handy to extend the depth of measurement.

Cheers,

David.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Bob.

I building up my test bench arsenal right now. Like many DIYers I can only afford top of the line vintage gear. The DM will come in very handy to extend the depth of measurement.

Cheers,

David.

Bob's DM as featured in Linear Audio Volume 0. You've been warned ;)

jd

Attachments

• DM stuffed 200k.jpg
    DM stuffed 200k.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 466
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jan,
I'm looking at your web site (been parked there for a bit). Excellent job there sir!

I'm certainly going to have good read, and most probably build this project. For making this information (and all the rest you have) - a large Thank You!

Hi Bob,
I'm now patiently awaiting your book. I can see some enjoyable hours sitting in a chair while reading, along with some background music.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
Almost every single piece of test equipment I have bought from Eeekbay has not worked. Some have serious problems and I have to repair all but one or two pieces. Some of these items cost me over $1K - plus shipping. Not working, but advertised as working fine (even the one that comes up with two sequential error messages before you get to the normal display. Ad said "powers up with no errors").

Is it because I'm in Canada? Maybe. Anyway, I now have a bench full of freshly serviced equipment that allows me to better trace distortion.

A just got a new toy though Bob. From the Canadian Government, and it works fine. An HP 35665A Dynamic Signal Analyzer. No options though. I'm looking forward to learning the ins and outs of this piece.

I'm glad to hear you have far better luck than I do on Eeekbay.

-Chris

Last edited:
I'm always a bit wary about buying equipment off of ebay. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it going to work.

How's your luck been?

David.

Aaaagghhh, that's the part I forgot to tell you about. In my experience, about half of it does not work. But I have had extraordinary good fortune in fixing it. Lots of Tek TM500 stuff, for example. Usually $25-$75 for a plug-in. Also, HP stuff, like my favorite, the 400EL AC voltmeter. Fortunately, schematics for many of these pieces of equipment are available - some on Ebay as CD ROMs.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Jan,
I'm looking at your web site (been parked there for a bit). Excellent job there sir!

I'm certainly going to have good read, and most probably build this project. For making this information (and all the rest you have) - a large Thank You!

Hi Bob,
I'm now patiently awaiting your book. I can see some enjoyable hours sitting in a chair while reading, along with some background music.

-Chris

... and a glass of wine, of course :).

Jan and I are going to have a couple of serious glasses of wine together to celebrate at RMAF.

Cheers,
Bob

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
I'm not allowed to drink, but I might have about 1/2 ounce of Drambuie or something similar. I never was much for wine

It would be great if I could get down there to see you and Jan. I've never attended RMAF, or even CES down in the 'States. I used to go the audio shows in Toronto, but they stopped and tend to land in Montreal these days.

No matter what though Bob, I suspect it'll be a great read. Doug Self's new book is also something I'll have to pick up some day. Same treatment. Room, music and possibly a small bit of a sipper.

-Chris

Hi fellas,

Young diy'er here looking to learn more about the workings of an amplifier. I just started getting back into diy after about 2 years off. I got into diy because I was into HT and built my HT room around a 5.1 kit from GR-research about 5 years ago. A lot of the research that I did came from the audiocircle forum which led me to a link here, after reading a few posts i was hooked. So far, I've modified a sony Sacd player with help from Larry Moore, a cd63 with mods featured in the forums here which is now broke at the moment. As for amps, I've put together a SKA150 and just put together a DX Blame ES that just needs a power supply. I also have other projects that are not done and these include an Octal Aikido, Sy's Heretical LS, DCB1, and a LYNX amp. So as you can see that I am a little hook into this hobby.
You can also tell I'm hooked when I switch my college goals to pursue some sort of engineering degree. I'm 30 years old and married with children so school has been coming around real slowly.
Anyhow, I just purchased this book after reading this thread. While brwosing I also saw that there are a few other books on audio design on Amazon and was wondering if you folks could recommend other books for me to purchase that would help someone like me.

Thanks everyone!
Wc

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan,

Hi Bob,

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks!
Nice to see you here again, you've been too silent too long!

jd

Hi fellas,
[snip]
While brwosing I also saw that there are a few other books on audio design on Amazon and was wondering if you folks could recommend other books for me to purchase that would help someone like me.

Thanks everyone!
Wc

Sure! "Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook", 5th edition, by Douglas Self.
See: The Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook

Cheers,
E.