Bob Cordell Interview: BJT vs. MOSFET

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
Jan, I went to single sided drive, BECAUSE I thought that I could get away with it! IT IS CHEAPER. I wanted a simple amp to replace the Marantz 7. The model 9 would come later. Power mosfets LACKED the dreaded second breakdown that forced me to use a bridged amp in the first place. I knew that I could make a 25-50W amp with a single side with bipolar transistors, or lateral fets. Why not 100W with these brand new and exciting Vmosfets? Cost me plenty.
Now why don't we ask Charles what his maximum practical supply voltages were for his bigger all fet power amps?

John, thanks. Makes sense. From the discussion in this great thraed, I gather that many people (me included) looked too narrowly on the BJT vs MOSFET story. Low drive current, no second breakdown, best thing since sliced bread. If I learned anything in this thread it is that it is a LOT more complex. And that you can build excellent amplifiers either way.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
PMA said:
It is not so difficult to understand nature of distortion, the high-order is mostly crossover, non-class A.

BUT - in case there was 10x higher low order distortion (like -70dB 2nd), the scale on distortion waveform would be 10x lower and high order distortion would not be apparent, or completely "disappear".

I agree. My experience is that the lower the distortion is in absolute terms, the more 'ragged' the waveform of the THD+N becomes. One could also say that the ragged shape 'proofs' that the THD is very low.

One could add in 0.05% 2nd and the waveform would look nice and smooth, but the underlaying 'ragged' components would still be there. Food for marketing departments!

Jan Didden

Hi,
since Xpro referred us to the test results, can I ask what folk think about the relative performance into 4ohms cf 8ohms.
The test results showed 19.3dbW 8r and 17.8dbW 4r.

That reduction of 1.5dbV into half value load seems high.

I try to get <-0.8dbV between 8 & 4ohms.
and more often achieve <0.6dbV (using BJT).
I think this has an effect on the apparent ability to play low bass properly. This of course applies to an 8ohm capable amplifier. If I were designing a 4ohm capable amplifier I would be looking to comparing 4r to 2r results.

Would the adoption of BJTs over FETs affect this type of result?
Are FETs up to giving a good result in the low load value situation?

john curl said:
See the sharp edges on distortion picture of the Creek amp? This is NOT good. Please remember folks that 1000's of amplifier circuits have been developed over the last 50 years. Only some are exceptional, most are forgetable. The very worst is a distortion picture that looks like a series of pulses or square waves. Triangle waves are not too good either. This is because higher order distortion is being added to the musical signal. This WILL change the sound for the worse.

John, it is a residual of some crossover distortion and level is very low. By increasing the idle current you can easily get rid of these completely but it did result in reduction in the sound quality and so the bias was set at a certain point deliberately on sonic grounds. The linearity of the circuit could be seen clearly from the IMD graph (fig. 8) . There is nothing to be ashamed of in a budget amplifier :) .

AndrewT said:
Hi,
since Xpro referred us to the test results, can I ask what folk think about the relative performance into 4ohms cf 8ohms.
The test results showed 19.3dbW 8r and 17.8dbW 4r.

That reduction of 1.5dbV into half value load seems high.

I try to get <-0.8dbV between 8 & 4ohms.
and more often achieve <0.6dbV (using BJT).
I think this has an effect on the apparent ability to play low bass properly. This of course applies to an 8ohm capable amplifier. If I were designing a 4ohm capable amplifier I would be looking to comparing 4r to 2r results.

Would the adoption of BJTs over FETs affect this type of result?
Are FETs up to giving a good result in the low load value situation?

Andrew, have a look at the fig. 10 and you'll see that the circuit is quite happy even into 2 Ohm. However in a continuous sinewave test both channels driven into 4 Ohm the limit is the power supply - mostly the size of the transformer and filter capacitors. It is not an expensive amp and corners have to be cut somewhere :) .

Cheers

Alex

Hi Xpro,
I am not critising your design nor the compromises you have incorporated to allow them to build it down to a price. It was a convenient example for my purpose.

I am asking about the merit of voltage drop, or lack of it, in a power amp when feeding continuous low impedances. Whether this affects low bass quality and whether this aspect of performance is affected by choosing FETs or BJTs for the output stage.

AndrewT said:
I am asking about the merit of voltage drop, or lack of it, in a power amp when feeding continuous low impedances. Whether this affects low bass quality and whether this aspect of performance is affected by choosing FETs or BJTs for the output stage.

The low bass quality in my view is not directly connected with this parameter as long as the amp in not clipping. And I can see no real reason why this drop should be very different for a properly designed amp with either BJTs of MOSFETs. In real life this drop is mostly due to the power supply size, unless the output is heavily current limited or has unusually high output impedance.

PMA said:
Alex,

these are really respectable (excellent at its class) parameters of the Creek 5350SE integrated amplifier. Congratulations!

Regards,
Pavel

Thanks, Pavel!

Alex

john curl said:
Now, why did I answer the question about using a low voltage Vmosfet for him? Could it be, that I thought your question a little below the belt? Condescending prehaps?
It was obvious to me, and I hope, many others

John, nothing could be further from the truth. I often ask questions and don't assume up front that I know the answers. It is better to hear what the person has to say, and we might learn something more. In this case, not only did I not know what the rails were or whether the amplifier was balanced, but I certainly did not know that Charles was using only a single transistor pair in the output stage, and that part of the reason for that was wanting to avoid matching. The whole story makes sense. That probably would not have come out had I not simply asked the question.

It continues to be a refreshing pleasure to be able to engage in candid technical discussions with Charles without a personal issue being injected, even if we would not engineer things the same way.

Language and the use of it can get us all into trouble, and no-one is perfect. Just a little further back I was remiss in accusing you of being condescending when you use the term "you folks".

Sometimes we just get it wrong. I actually thought that you answered that question in the way you did because you saw an opportunity to take a shot at me. Guess I'm just paranoid.

Bob

Bob, I simply answered the question. It would have gone no further, IF you had not taken exception to my answering the question.
I also wanted to point out that 60V devices were rather popular 15-20 years ago, and cheaper too. In fact, usually, lower voltage devices performed better as fets than high voltage devices, which always lose transconductance, all else being equal.

Charles Hansen said:

First of all, the link to the schematic can be found in this post:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=334963#post334963

We normally ran the idle current at 550 mA.

No, it happened at idle. With normal line voltage the rails were at 25 volts. But when the AC line went high, the rails would climb to 28 volts or so. Now pretty much any device has an Id (or Ic) that increases with Vds (or Vce). With BJT's this is called the "Early effect". But the problem with these vertical MOSFET's went much beyond a nice straight line heading slightly upwards. It was a definite inflection point where the lines would curve upwards.

Like I said, we tried dozens of potential replacements looking for something that would work better and plug into the existing circuit. We wanted something that was rated at least at 60 amps and 60 volts, had the same pinout, and the same package. We tried parts from a half-dozen manufacturers. ALL of them suffered from the same problem to some degree or another except a Samsung-designed part that Fairchild had purchased (and then discontinued). (For whatever reason, the P-channel parts had no trace of this problem.)

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the information and clarification. The upward slope of the IRCP054 Id at higher Vds is a mystery, but it looks like that amplifier may have had a thermal runaway problem even without that transistor behavior.

I plugged the numbers into my equation for intrinsic thermal stability and saw evidence of a problem.

Recall from my earlier post, that equation defines the positive thermal feedback coefficient Beta as:

Beta = Theta_JS * Vds * TCvgs * gm

For the IRCP054 operating at 550 mA, I estimate gm to be about 3.1 S and TCvgs to be about 6 mV/C. With Theta_JS = 1.3 C/W (including insulator thermal resistance) and Vds = 28V, we get:

Beta = 0.68.

This number is well into the danger zone (which I arbitrarily define as anything greater than 0.5). At Beta = 0.68, we get thermal gain enhancement from positive feedback by a factor of 3.1. Of course, if Beta hits unity, we are into thermal runaway, and it can happen in the blink of an eye, given the fairly fast thermal time constants of the die and the package.

Now let's recognize that the 550 mA bias value was probably set under quiescent, no-load conditions after thermal equilibrium was reached.

Now somebody plays program through the amplifier at modest levels into a load, and by doing so suddenly increases junction temperatures by 20 C (this doesn't take that much additional device dissipation to happen, maybe only 15 watts or so). You have a nice big heatsink, so its temperature doesn't move, and there is no change in bias temperature compensation (if you use it). At 6 mV/C, the 20 C junction increase corresponds to a Vgs change of 120 mV, which, against a starting gm of 3.1S, increases bias current by about 370 mA.

For reasonably small changes, gm is proportional to current in this region, so gm as a result increases to about 5.2 S at the new operating bias current (even though the music may have stopped briefly). We now calculate Beta under the new conditions:

Beta = 1.14 => GAME OVER - we are in thermal runaway.

I know there is a lot of approximation and handwaiving here, but I suspect that this is what happened.

Best regards,
Bob

Bob Cordell said:
Thanks for the information and clarification. The upward slope of the IRCP054 Id at higher Vds is a mystery, but it looks like that amplifier may have had a thermal runaway problem even without that transistor behavior.

Sorry Bob, I didn't read your earlier post, and unfortunately don't have time to fully digest the math in your current post. But this I can assure you -- your theoretical analysis does not reflect the real world.

First of all, we only had a handful of failures. We finally traced them down to high AC line voltage (causing the rails to increase to the point where the curves of the IRCP054 inflected upwards). When we changed to a different transistor that didn't have this problem, the remaining handful of failures disappeared. QED.

Like I've said in a previous post, there's nothing like putting a part on a curve tracer and seeing how it *really* behaves.

I am confused

john curl said:
Oliver's paper in the early '70's set the criterion for optimum emitter resistance of a given complementary transistor output stage. We usually define it as the voltage drop across each resistor when the unit is idling. I tend to chose 15-22 mV, Chas prefers 10-20 mV. There is NO exact number that does everything right, but being in that range is optimum. Other factors weigh in such as beta nonlinearity and finite drive resistance that change the equation slightly.

Here I read optimum bias is about 15-22mV across a 0.47-Ohm resitor.
Yet in another thread I read Class-A is the way to go for optimum sound quality, which is way higher bias I guess.
What now?
:confused:

Charles Hansen said:

Sorry Bob, I didn't read your earlier post, and unfortunately don't have time to fully digest the math in your current post. But this I can assure you -- your theoretical analysis does not reflect the real world.

First of all, we only had a handful of failures. We finally traced them down to high AC line voltage (causing the rails to increase to the point where the curves of the IRCP054 inflected upwards). When we changed to a different transistor that didn't have this problem, the remaining handful of failures disappeared. QED.

Like I've said in a previous post, there's nothing like putting a part on a curve tracer and seeing how it *really* behaves.

Hi Charles,

First, thanks very much for your candor about your designs and your patience throughout this discussion. I think we have all learned from it.

Obviously, there still remain some questions and areas of possible disagreement.

When you have a chance, I really would appreciate your feedback on my theoretical analysis. If in some way it does not reflect the real world, I'd really like to know in what way. We'll all learn from that.

If you merely mean that it doesn't reflect the real world with respect to what actually happened in your amp, that is entirely possible. Indeed, your replacing the transistor with one not having the upward swing in Id, and then having the problem go away, is pretty indisputable evidence. I would still speculate (and indeed it is only speculation based on the figure of merit I explained) that my analysis was correct in showing that there was not enough thermal safety margin, and that the presence of the upward swing in Id pushed it over the edge.

Again, thanks for discussing this and I would very much appreciate any criticism from you (or anyone else) in regard to the figure of merit for thermal bias stability that I use. I recognize that it is a very simple figure of merit and, as such, at the least invites caveats.

If you would be willing to send me one of those transistors so that I can study it, please send me email at bob@cordellaudio.com.

Cheers,
Bob

Tico, IF you are in class A mode exclusively, THEN there is no optimum value of voltage drop across the emitter resistor. Back in 1967, I built a small power amp with 1 ohm emitter resistors and 0.5A bias. Guess what? Up to 4 watts, (the class A region) it worked great, BUT then in the Class B region (up to 16 watts) it became class AB and THEN the distortion was not nearly so good. I can still remember, after virtually 40 years when the technician measuring the amp, noticed that the amp did NOT like the transistion from class A to class AB. In a few years, I dropped the value to .05 ohm resistors, instead, with all the problems with thermal tracking, added on.
I then had to develop a more accurate thermal tracking method, that I still use today to keep it thermally stable.