• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Blown up resistor in S-5 amp kit...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fenpark15 said:
Thanks for fixing the schematic. I tested the resistors with a meter and they are 270 Ohm instead of 270K. Parts Express sent me these in a bag labeled 270K.

Never trust the label on the bag. It's too easy for the packer to put in the wrong part. Sometimes I take parts out of the bag, and accidentally put them back into a different one.

Be careful going by the color code on the side of resistors. On some parts, it can be tough to tell the difference between certain colors (red and orange, for example).

Best bet is to meter each piece before you solder it into the circuit. It'll save you time in the long run.

Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my very elementary questions. It's not that I don't understand the basic principles in theory, its just that since I'm personally responsible for my own investment, I wanted some confirmation from people who have physical experience doing this. Like I said, this is the first electronic anything that I have built myself (even though it is a kit). The project has been rewarding enough to motivate me to study more and attempt something that will require more of my own knowledge in the future.

Anyway, with the resistors fixed, the amp works. I will let it burn in for a while and do some listening to different types of music, then I'll post a pic and my thoughts about the sound.

If by redraw you mean the circuit schematic, then yes. However, the PCB is laid out differently than the drawing. I had to follow traces carefully or reference the component numbers to orient the schematic to the PCB. Also, the PCB screenprinting is correct (I heard other s-5 models had errors in this respect).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.