blankput aux mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys im new to this :) Ive been working on a little project lately, ive modded my headunit of my vy commodore to add a aux input. What ive done is ive found the points in the headunit and ran a left right and points in the headunit and ran a left right and earth. I hve then connected them to the amp(lepai ta2020) and powered it up The idea is that the ta2020 will be used to amplify my ipod so that my ipod doesnt have to be cranked up all the way to acheive decent volume Problem is... tthe ta2020 burnt out and i dont know what to do. Can anyone help?? pleas

Gday,

What i did is i;

Ran 3 wires from the headunit (left, right and ground)
Split the ground wire into 2
Connected the left and right wires to the possitive left and right outputs on the amp
Connected both the ground wires to the negativeS left and right outputs on the amp
Pluged in power source and turned on amp the headunit
Smoke appears I then pulled apart the amp to find the wires to the power switch had melted.

I have since put a headphone jack on the wires i put into to headunit and connected it to my ipod and the wireing is doing its job and the headunit plays music from my ipod.

Cheers for replying :)

Most people complain that an iPod does not have enough output to drive an aux in to reasonable volume without a little bit of gain. this persons use of the TA2020 was to provide some gain boost before going into the head unit. right idea, wrong approach. a simple op-amp circuit can be configured to provide 6-10db of boost with a minimum number of parts. The TA2020 was just not the best choice of device to use.

Op-amps are generic electronic components. You can get them from virtually any electronics distributor.

There is nothing on that page (as far as I could see) that stated that the ipod couldn't drive the input to the head unit without boosting it.

The following thread has more information and may provide a better (but more complex) way to do this.
AUX input on a factory stereo - my way - Page 3 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Are op-Amps like chips? i have no clue on what to do with them.

My ipod doesnt have to be boosted to work but unless both the headunit and my ipod are cranked right up the volume is pretty poor... Does The "AUX input on a factory stereo - my way - Page 3 - LS1GTO.com Forums" Mod amplify the ipod or not? i cant see anything saying it does... so as i said before im assuming my ipod and headunit would have to be cranked up, correct?? :)

Is it possible for u to tell me on what type of circuit is being used in the following picture? ( http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/kudos0743/Phreddy.jpg?t=1286608841 ) is this a op amp or? This mod uses the same points as the "AUX input on a factory stereo - my way - Page 3 - LS1GTO.com Forums"
but its got the circuit attached assuming it amplifys the ipod.

Im quiet confussed

Thanks for all the help tho guys much appreciated.

The term 'chip' is a generic term. It's often used when referring to integrated circuits. Op-amps are one type of integrated circuit. The TL072 is a generic op-amp that's often used for audio. If someone tries to talk you into using some expensive esoteric op-amp, build the circuit with the TL072 and after the circuit is working perfectly, you can experiment with other op-amps. Bear in mind that sometimes, the more expensive op-amps are more finicky and more difficult to use.

If you wired the adapter in directly, the problem is likely that you're trying to drive a signal into the output of the driver IC for the CD player. The diagram on the page that I posted shows how to avoid doing this by using the switch (inside the headphone jack) to break the connection back to the driver IC (assuming that I understand the circuit -- I didn't take much time to read through the thread).

Try to do this without the op-amp. If the op-amp is used, this will become somewhat more complex.

I don't know what the circuit in the photo is but I'm sure it's explained in the thread.

If you wired the adapter in directly, the problem is likely that you're trying to drive a signal into the output of the driver IC for the CD player. The diagram on the page that I posted shows how to avoid doing this by using the switch (inside the headphone jack) to break the connection back to the driver IC (assuming that I understand the circuit -- I didn't take much time to read through the thread).

Where is the diagram you posted?

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.