Black Gates Going for Nuts $$$?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Why not try some HV caps & bypass with Russian Ky40 caps Merlin ? You might get something similar. I played with the Ky40 & there’s some BG sound to it. Another option, is to look for low value BG like 10uf HV caps & parallel them with other caps. I bought a bunch of 250v 10uf caps from Micheal Percy, not sure if they still have stock.

Cheers

I used Jensen PIO bypassing big lytic caps in PSU and don't like it. I like the 1/10 value of Auricaps bypassing the big lytics in HV PSU.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
About the polyprop tubecaps there is no doubt. Have a bunch of F&T Joule caps 20/750v and they sound pretty much identical. Look identical too.

As for other makes...have a few high voltage Rifa, hesitate to recommend them. Similarly with Felsic, but unlike the Rifa these have at least an excellent midrange. Also have some Kendeil which are just horrible.

Perhaps Siemens/Epcos/TDK are worth a try.

Just arrived Kemet 820uF 550V, attached pics and datasheet.:)

Attachments

• Kemet 820uF 550VDC.pdf
    69.3 KB · Views: 33
  • WP_20180904_004[1].jpg
    WP_20180904_004[1].jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 137
For LV I used Jensen 4 pole but I like more the BG and second Mundorf Mlytic AG+

For HV the best are BG, Elna Cerafine aren't bad but can't compare vs BG, still searching the substitute.

Hi , for LV power supplies bank I use the Supertech 4TTN (4 taps) with excellent sonic results across the audio spectrum. They are musical and have guts in current drain (4700uf /63V ---> 8A rms @120Hz ripple current). I have already supplied a big bunch of them, enough to turn them heritage to my kids:)

Attachments

• DSCI0681.JPG
    DSCI0681.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCI0680.JPG
    DSCI0680.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 188
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.