Black Gates Going for Nuts $$$?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don’t be caught up with ESR Felipe. Blackgates esr aren’t low fyi. From my experience, at times you need higher esr at certain location to tweak the sound. Example Silmic ll, it’s been reported that it sounds tubey & bass does not go as deep as Nichicon KZ. Why so, just measure their esr .

Cheers

I was a bit late to the game to experience the bg parts, figured there was always another way out there to get results. Seems like maybe some hype also, especially once they were hard to find.

Just glad I managed to score a set of the Epcos B41550 before they went out.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I was a bit late to the game to experience the bg parts, figured there was always another way out there to get results. Seems like maybe some hype also, especially once they were hard to find.

Just glad I managed to score a set of the Epcos B41550 before they went out.

Are better Mundorf M-Lytic AG, also used Siemens Sikorel with no great SQ.

Not all sikorel are suited for audio, I was using them as main filter in a large amp anyways.

I have a bank of the mundorf in a dac/headphone amp, are nice/ok, certainly don’t hurt anything. Ive concluded that parts in the main filter position just aren’t going to be as significant, or at best add anything to the sound as other smaller parts that are closer to the action, which is probably where many would choose to utilize parts like the bg anyways.

Hi Guys
If Hv is not too high like 250v & below, you can purchase some low uf BG which does not cost a bomb & parallel it with the mains to inject some BG sound

Btw try Michael Percy, I bought a bunch of 10uf 250v BG Std just for this purpose.

+1
I do the same. Build PS to my satisfaction then add 10uF 250V close to the pin on the tube. You get that nice BG sound without the crazy price. But then I have not (will never) hear the WKz to compare.

I think it is neat that AudioNote is resurrecting the manufacturing process, but I fear the days of affordable BG's are over. Glad I got a few while they were generally available.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Not all sikorel are suited for audio, I was using them as main filter in a large amp anyways.

I have a bank of the mundorf in a dac/headphone amp, are nice/ok, certainly don’t hurt anything. Ive concluded that parts in the main filter position just aren’t going to be as significant, or at best add anything to the sound as other smaller parts that are closer to the action, which is probably where many would choose to utilize parts like the bg anyways.

Can be possible. Some people said used in Krell amps: I never liked the Krell amps sound:mad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.