• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Bigbottle MM/MC Hybrid Valve Phonostage PCB

I was just getting ready to place an order for all the parts for the PCB and have a question.

I noticed in the BOM C1P is listed as 3300uf 25v Farnell part number 1712581 is for a 3300uf Rubychon 35v cap on Farnell/Newark, the Mouser number is for a Panasonic 10,000uf 25v cap, which one is correct or does it not matter?

I was just getting ready to place an order for all the parts for the PCB and have a question.

I noticed in the BOM C1P is listed as 3300uf 25v Farnell part number 1712581 is for a 3300uf Rubychon 35v cap on Farnell/Newark, the Mouser number is for a Panasonic 10,000uf 25v cap, which one is correct or does it not matter?

The original design from Alan specifies a 3300uF and this is what he recommends. A 10KuF will also work ... really not that critical.

We measured the Ripple on the cap in question, and we tried a 10000uf cap in that position but Alan wasnt happy.

We tried a 3300uf as we specified and the result was much more to his liking.

Apparently the 10000uf cap will put more strain on the PSU, which isnt necessary as the 7805 regulator does the hard work.

Stick to the specified values on the BOM and you'll be fine.

I have one in use now and its absolutely fine, and more importantly working without fault.

I will edit the BOM to reflect the correct cap value. Thanks for bringing it up

Last edited:
So I'm referring to the boards for the phono pre. Are any of those available?

The first round has now closed, and i have two people waiting to see if i have any spares.

I will do a second round of the group Buy, when the first round has been completed as in posted to the paid up participants.

If you would like to start a list of participants (including yourself), you can do and i'll get involved asap.

I ordered 30 PCB's and i believe they are now all sold.

Thanks for the offering but I think I will be looking at another solution. Schematics are offered all over this sight even by manufactures of equipment that is sold on the market. The most basic questions one might ask can't be answered w/o.

Cool, no worries.

You dont need a Schematic for this build. In fact, if you understand the Schematic and can utilise that whilst building this phonostage, IMO, you are already WAY beyond the necessary skills required of this build.

This is a "paint by numbers" approach, designed to be absolute beginner friendly.

Which it is.

It's a shame that not having the schematic has seen you lose confidence, but I wish you well on the search for a solution.

Last edited:
PCB's are on their way to me!

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say that i have received an email from the PCB manufacturer and they are on their way to me!

Please note, refunds are not possible on this GB. I have received 2 emails asking me to refund money. I am not able to do this, as you have participated in a Group Buy and have already committed your money to your PCB.

However, if YOU want to find someone to take your spot, they can do so. Any money you have paid will be returned AFTER the new participant has paid.

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say that i have received an email from the PCB manufacturer and they are on their way to me!

Ooh the anticipation:D

Did I read that Toshiba 2SK170 jfets can be used instead of the surface mount device?
If so what idss do I need to aim for?
No, you can't.

Craigtone found and alternative part but we have not tested it and wont be.

We have used the BF861C and BF862 since the beginning and have no reason to change it.

It's a great sounding Jfet

Last edited: