Big forum upgrade ahead - what you need to know!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cal Weldon said:
Things are a little slower in Rosedale. ;)

Indeed!

peranders said:

I feel with you. I was in the same postion three years back but now I have 8 MBit. 2-24 MBit is what people have here.

Western Canda is maxed out at 5MB connection IF you are in a downtown core (unless you hire a contractor to lay OC-x). I'm stuck, as most people are in the country, a 1.5MB connection. Given my location, I'm lucky I have that... the line repeater, hence blocking the DSL signal, is just 100 metres past my house :eek:

Cheers!

Steerpike said:
If you move to Firefox, you can have control over such things - preventing it from displaying any type of content you don't like.

Agreed - if Flash banners and the like offend you, try using Firefox with AdBlockPlus and NoScript (free plug-ins) installed.

Still, it's far simpler if the site in question has few animated distractions.

Simon

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Geek said:
Opera does this without having to add any plugins :D

Indeed it does! My favorite browser for 10 years now.

And Opera mobile does a very good job with this site if the "fit to screen" option is used. Gotta love it.

As for ads on the site - there are certainly well done now. Never a bother and I actually click thru to many of them. I rarely ever click on ads on other sites - there are so many and they are so awful.

Good work guys!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The mods are supposed to use the :cop: icon when they are acting as a mod. The Chief Moderator uses the :captain: icon traditionally

We have stopped using the icons as much because it has become a symbol that "This is not a suggestion- if you don't stop what you are doing you will go to the bin" which is a very useful thing.

But it would be nice to have a "softer" indication when a mod is simply making a suggestion or giving advice as a moderator..

Mark
:captain:

Thanks very much to the site admins and others involved in this upgrade. I don't envy you because I know it's going to be a lot of work to pull it off. Hats off to the best audio forum around!

On another note, I've posted a request entitled: "Option for ignored posters to disappear entirely instead of appearing in placeholder".

The idea of this one is that posters on one's ignore list would not be seen at all. I sometimes find myself overcome by morbid curiosity and end up clicking on the "To view this post click [here]" in the placeholder post :). I realize that this is a problem with my own lack of self-discipline in this matter, but still it would be so much nicer if ignored posters would simply disappear, as would happen with a killfile on usenet. I guess that to remove someone from one's ignore list, there would have to be an alternate option (giving the same behavior we presently have) something like "show placeholder post for ignored posters" so that one could enable the option, then find the user to "un-ignore", then click on their user name to remove them from the ignore list.

If anybody else likes this idea, please vote for it! :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
andy_c said:
T.......
If anybody else likes this idea, please vote for it! :)

I can't vote ;

see - you aren't on my list of ignored posters , so your post wasn't in placeholder , so I wasn't curious - to click - to see what's in placeholder.......

conclusion - I'm not curious enough to be interested .......

is that mean that I must put entire forum in ignore list , to became interested ..... or I must put my self in ignore list , to be interested what's outside placeholder ....... ?

:rofl:

off course - just joking ....... I have same problem with posts of one sole person on my ignore list ..... clicking every 4-th time , just to see that he's still good for ignoring ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.