BG Neo series back at Parts Express?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doesn't look like they are stocking the neo8 S version. Has anyone compared the neo 10 vs the neo 8 from 750hz to say 3500hz?

Not a direct answer, sorry. I haven't tried the Neo10. Neo10 would be superior from 250-1000, then cross to the Neo8 til 4k, then the Neo3. Basically 2 octaves each. I would think the Neo10 is getting pretty beamy at 3500. The datasheet shows 90 degrees (-6dB) at 4kHz. It could work crossing to a waveguide tweeter though.

I have the Neo8 crossed at 1kHz which from my testing is ideal for this driver. It can run lower, down to around 400, but it isn't a great performer down there at any reasonable drive level. Have had good results around 700 with a steeper crossover. 1kHz allows a nice smooth Bessel with a 6" woofer. I'm using it all the way up from there in nearfield listening (1 meter). Crossing to a wide dispersion (non-waveguide) tweeter it shouldn't go above 4kHz.

So, if you are using a waveguide tweeter that can match the directivity (and ideally cross a bit lower than you've indicated), go for the Neo10, otherwise the Neo8 (non-PDR).

Not a direct answer, sorry. I haven't tried the Neo10. Neo10 would be superior from 250-1000, then cross to the Neo8 til 4k, then the Neo3. Basically 2 octaves each. I would think the Neo10 is getting pretty beamy at 3500. The datasheet shows 90 degrees (-6dB) at 4kHz. It could work crossing to a waveguide tweeter though.

I have the Neo8 crossed at 1kHz which from my testing is ideal for this driver. It can run lower, down to around 400, but it isn't a great performer down there at any reasonable drive level. Have had good results around 700 with a steeper crossover. 1kHz allows a nice smooth Bessel with a 6" woofer. I'm using it all the way up from there in nearfield listening (1 meter). Crossing to a wide dispersion (non-waveguide) tweeter it shouldn't go above 4kHz.

So, if you are using a waveguide tweeter that can match the directivity (and ideally cross a bit lower than you've indicated), go for the Neo10, otherwise the Neo8 (non-PDR).

That's exactly the info I needed. Thanks dynomike.

FYI, some measurements of the Neo 10 I made for my dipole investigation. All measurements are with the Neo10 as a 'naked' dipole. Directivity was measured in steps of 5 degrees.

Horizontal response @50cm:

Neo10-0-30-60-90-MLS.png

Normalised horizontal directivity:

neo10-directivity-normalized-25dB_windowed.png

Normalised vertical directivity:

neo10-directivity-normalized-25dB_vertical-unsmoothed.png

Harmonic distortion:

Neo10-24dB-oct--filtered-eq-harmonics.png

The distortion is for the filtered driver, with the dipole correction applied and a 24dB/oct HP at 400Hz. Response in red (dBSPL@50cm, scale on the left). K2 in green, K3 in orange, K4 in blue and K5 in purple (% scale on the right). The measurement is not gated and I don't know how reliable the values below 1kHz are.

regards,

Gerrit

Dynomike,
For your recommendations of using the Neo8 above 1kHz, are you using the them as a dipoles or with an enclosure of some sort?
Dan

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I am building somewhat similar enclosures for my Neo8's. They will be about 1 - 1.5 ft. long stuffed transmission lines. My hope was to be able to use the Neo8's down to between 400 and 700 Hz. However given your experience that looks like it might not be realistic.
Dan

If anyone is interested, Madisound now has a Neo8 style driver for sale.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ribbon-tweeters/audiopur-pla200-6-planar-ribbon-tweeter-200mm/

I'll be buying a pair to test alongside the the real Neo8.

Greg

That's a decent price but a lot of these planar transducers such as the Neo3, Neo8, Neo10 reproductions and other AMT designs are being manufactured in Asia.

Ribbon Tweeter&AMT - Shop Cheap Ribbon Tweeter&AMT from China Ribbon Tweeter&AMT Suppliers at wonderful life electronics on Aliexpress.com

Planar Transducer-Planar Transducer Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.comSensors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.