• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Beyond SET and ParaFeed.... Complementary Current Triode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I never paid much attention in those classes where they talked about transformers when I was going to school, I'm an RF engineer. I went to engineering school after I became an engineer! That is why none of my home made transformer experiments worked very well.

I was all set to order a pair of the big Hammonds from Angela Instruments (on their web site for $222 each), and get down to building "the big one" the old fashioned way. I tried calling them every day last week, and they were closed. When I got through today, they said that they had none of these in stock, and weren't going to order any more. Well, back to the drawing board.

I know that my mosfets were blowing up because of "shoot through". This was because of dead time issues, and the fact that my P channel fets that had far less gate capacitance than the N channel fets (H bridge). I was using parts that I had about 4 years ago, which were several years old at the time. This may work much better with some modern fets. I just haven't had time to play with it.

The basic concept of the circuit that I used is on my web site in case any of you get the urge to make some smoke!
http://www.tubelab.com/SSopt.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.