Beyma TPL-200 felt pad removal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am running a pro audio set up in the back of my truck for outdoor event (car shows) pro audio use.

I will be running 8 beyma 12p80nd v2's and 4 beyma tpl-200h.

I understand from reading on forums that removing the felt pad and instead loading the horn into a larger damped rear chamber can further reduce distortion dramatically.

I was wondering if this would be beneficial for me in my particular application.

Thanks in advance fellas.

For the TPL-150H:

As far as I can remember, removal of the felt reduces second harmonic distortion which isn't very audible. Removal of the felt also decreases damping of the resonance at 1.6kHz significantly, causing a response peak. This may be more audible than the reduction in second harmonic distortion - the manufacturer obviously obviously added the felt for a reason.

I think the same applies to the TPL-200, except that the resonance at 1.6kHz seems to be better damped to begin with.

I would not want an underdamped diaphragm for a high power application. Perhaps better to measure and see what you get.

This is exactly what I did with my TPL150's and IMHO it does make a significant difference. It also creates a peak at approx 8Khz that needs EQ to tame though.
Great drivers though, I don't think they have a 'sound' as such, they don't 'shimmer' or 'sparkle' they just sound 'right' to me..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.