Beta 12LTA in a 3cf box - port size

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>>> Sounds really efficient and cost effective.

Looking good JRKO! Yes, they are like those focal's that you mentioned earlier. I'd expect yours to crush the focals in dynamics and realism (maybe not crush lol). Having lived with and enjoyed the Beta 12lta i've come to respect what it's capable of. Curious if you've decided to cut out the dustcap or leave the driver stock (no shame in that). If you leave the driver stock but find a resonance in the vocals is a little to much simply cut it out. 98 cent tweak and phase plugs are in my future but i really don't feel any need for them... it's rather a curiosity at this point as i am very fond of the sound as is. Also, do you have plans to cover the drivers with some kind of grill?

I noticed an improvement in sound when heavily stuffing the boxes so liberally stuff and enjoy!

Zilla

JRKO, i think you have a beautiful pair of music makers that will easily fill a room with sound. Looking at the photo i wonder how you will finish the project? You said the wife wanted you to paint the cabs a certain color... but i would encourage you to stain the middle tweeter section and leave it as a 'belt' breaking up the top from the bottom.

In the 'dynamics, slam and realism' department this 'home speaker' will trounce most of the modern commercially available products.

I hope you didn't use Peugeot 205 GTI to carry these speakers!

hehe - no thats the most modern card my friend has. His one and only fuel injected car EVER!!

JRKO, i think you have a beautiful pair of music makers that will easily fill a room with sound. Looking at the photo i wonder how you will finish the project? You said the wife wanted you to paint the cabs a certain color... but i would encourage you to stain the middle tweeter section and leave it as a 'belt' breaking up the top from the bottom.

In the 'dynamics, slam and realism' department this 'home speaker' will trounce most of the modern commercially available products.

Thanks 'zilla! I was thinking of keeping that middle section a different color as you suggest. I.m going to seal the end 'grain' of the MDF with PVA & water mix before painting.

>>> Curious if you've decided to cut out the dustcap or leave the driver stock (no shame in that). If you leave the driver stock but find a resonance in the vocals is a little to much simply cut it out. 98 cent tweak and phase plugs are in my future but i really don't feel any need for them. Do you have plans to cover the drivers with some kind of grill?

I noticed an improvement in sound when heavily stuffing the boxes so liberally stuff and enjoy!

Zilla

Dust cap is coming out (tired of being shouted at ;)) and a phase plug just to finish the look. I'm gonna stuff the 12LT cabs with Ikea cushions!!! £0.70 ($1.12) each is WAY cheaper than anything else

CLUCKING HELL

WOW WOW WOW WOW

Just wired them up and am sitting with a stupid grin on my face whilst playing random choons from my selection. Damn these are good. The 15's can produce prodigious amounts of low solid bass. Solid as a wall and yet very spritely. Really really pleased

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 655
These are 'musical appreciation' speakers :D

A friend came over and said' 'James, those aren't speakers, they are a way of life.' That pretty much sums it up for me. A little over zealous maybe but when it sounds totally real at any volume level I cant really complain - especially as they were sanctioned by the present Mrs O.

I've yet to caulk the frames, cut the dust cap, stuff the 12lt cabinets, PVA the end 'grain' and paint.

As for the subs I am going to have to employ Mrs O to help dial them in for home as its a lot of backwards & forwards otherwise. At the moment its a bit heavy with the amps running 50% volume and crossing over at about 120hz. I do have a low level hum though and think it may be because I'm using the speaker connections rather than the phono inputs but its easy to try both.

I've got a weekend of music planned soon. Take one large village hall, 300 guests, and a play list of 1 hr per section starting with Classical, Jazz, Big Band, Blues, Rock'n'Roll, Rock, Pop, Dance and then Banging tunes provided by my resident DJ. That way older friends not interested in dance or pop can come early and leave the harder stuff to us young 'uns :rolleyes:

They are realistic sounding speakers. Makes me wonder what all those little coned speakers are for...

If you want to further create the look of the Focal maybe you can buy rubber feet... small in front and larger in the rear. Or just leave things as is. I intend to place four small rubber feet between my 12lta and the H-frames and eventually finish the cabs the 12lta's are in. Enjoying the music too much to care at the moment tho.

>>> I've yet to caulk the frames, cut the dust cap, stuff the 12lt cabinets...

I am very happy having cut the dustcaps off. If i did not hear an improvement i'd re-attach them. Eventually phase plugs will go into the openings to satisfy my curiosity of further smoothing. I don't hear any 'shout' and the overall sound is awesome actually. I may apply plumbers putty to the rear basket but again, things sound very nice without.

Once you figure your bass solution, the 12lta in a sealed box + tweeter really rocks... even if it is a 'wide range' driver. Despite their unrefined looks, they present music with finesse.

Sounded to me like the dutcap was the source of a resonant sound in the mids and comparing a loosely stuffed cab to a fully stuffed the driver sounded much more relaxed. I am sure it has to do with the backwave mucking things up behind the driver. The 12lta really wants to be in a larger cabinet but since we stuff them into something more 'house friendly' the backwave needs to be addressed. The tweaks most noticeably improve vocals both male and female. I really think vocals sound very natural now. You can also hear all the 'mouth sounds' coming from the performers... as well as little knocks on drums and other misc sounds that probably weren't meant to be on the recording but are revealed due to the easy detail and high efficiency of these drivers.

>>> Pyle PDS221 compression drivers...

Wow, i may be getting a pair of these cheapies soon since the karate school doesn't like them... they do not handle power well... but for home use i'd imagine they'd kick some butt. Maybe i will buy a waveguide or something to build a cheap 'pro sound' speaker on a smaller scale than the 12lta project. Thanks for posting Adam!

Hey, Godzilla! Glad to be useful. I don't wanna threadjack (any further), but if you wanna chat about 'em in the other thread I'd be interested to know what the limits of the PDS are. I haven't hit 'em, but it's not like I'm powering a concert or anything. Though they did summon the police fairly effectively during a basement party. :cop: :D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Can anybody point us to a visual tutorial on making phase plugs? I have a pair of these guys that I started a thread for a while ago, but I have not done any of the driver mods beyond using Duct Seal to damp the baskets.

Do you have access to a lathe, have you ever used a lathe? There are phase plugs out there that you can buy, Planet10-HiFi sells them.

Attachments

• P5190006.jpg
    P5190006.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 566
I've also had reasonable luck simply spinning a wooden dowel in my hand while putting it to a belt sander. It'll take a couple to get the hang of it, but it's easy to do once you get the hang of it. Cut the phase plug off the end of the dowel when you are happy with the shape. Then you can start the next one.
Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.