Best Single Rail Amps?

Bailey 30W, which can be upped to 50W using 2N3055/MJ2955 outputs, or higher power (MJ802/4502 even). would suggest not using TIP3055/2955 nor MJE3055T/2955T at this power level unless parallelled.
Similar to TGM8 but - fully complementary output, no Miller compensation. Wireless World 1968.
Distortion may be improved using KSA1381 rather than a BD140 in the pre-driver stage (which is a transconductance not voltage amplifier - should be TAS not VAS!) BD139-140 drivers ideal. Cascode can reduce distortion significantly with BD140 but does need a Miller "nudge" or alternative to stabilise.

Reactions: 1 user
The following suggestions are obviously NOT IC's but worth considering.
Back in the '70's-'80's John Linsley Hood published a good sounding single rail amp' 30 watts.
It was in HiFiNews-Record Review originally with Darlingtons in a nice triplet.
A few years later an updated version appeared with Mosfets.

Depending on your power needs in the early '70's there was one of his a 15-20 watt Class AB design in what was then Wireless World.
I don't think back copies of HFNews-RR are readily available on the Web but the WW ones are.

I understand both circuits (not necessarily the whole articles on the 30 Watters) are available on the Web and at least one kit of the original bipolar design is out there

The following suggestions are obviously NOT IC's but worth considering.
Back in the '70's-'80's John Linsley Hood published a good sounding single rail amp' 30 watts.
It was in HiFiNews-Record Review originally with Darlingtons in a nice triplet.
A few years later an updated version appeared with Mosfets.

Depending on your power needs in the early '70's there was one of his a 15-20 watt Class AB design in what was then Wireless World.
I don't think back copies of HFNews-RR are readily available on the Web but the WW ones are.

I understand both circuits (not necessarily the whole articles on the 30 Watters) are available on the Web and at least one kit of the original bipolar design is out there
Tried it.... did not like it..

I compared MJR7 and H-ENG amp in LTSpice (power supply +60V, ideal/regulated)

H-ENG
Output idle current = 3mA (bipolar)
GAIN = 26.6dB
LG10k = 102dB
THD10k 39W/4R = 0.0008%
PSRR 100Hz = 111dB
NOISE 20-20k = 20uV
Clip +27Vp -27Vp

MJR7-Mk5
Output idle current = 100mA (mosfet)
GAIN = 25dB
LG10k = 69dB
THD10k 39W/4R = 0.0008%
PSRR 100Hz = 90dB
NOISE 20-20k = 40uV
Clip +23Vp -21Vp

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@adason - they are 0-44VAC from the same company but produced a year appart - so they may differ just slightly.... i am not to crazy to use both to make dual rail because of that..
this is the reason i am searching for something with single rail that sounds good.... :)

No designer in their right mind would use the rails as a voltage reference for anything. Big deal if they are not exactly equal.

My favorite single supply amp is the Autona AL125 was big in the 80's. Here is a upgraded version done by member Prasi with more modern output devices so you could crank the supply up to 90v. Still busy building the Apex AX6 so i cant say how it compares

Attachments

• AL125.png
    AL125.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 92