Best fullrangedriver?

You have fullrange drivers in all kind of styles and types. So determine the best is impossible in general. First you need to determine what kind of speaker you want, a flat neutral-like one, a oldskool darker sounding one (with reduced treble), a very bright one that is ment to listen off axis, one for a big horn or one for a small bookshelf,...

I'm personally very fan of Mark Audio drivers, and mainly the metallic cones (altough the paper cones are almost as good). I also like Jordan and EAD's (but they are to expensive compared to the similar but better Mark Audio), the Fane 12-250TC when it has a filter to tame the highs, old Philips fullrange drivers, and some of the Tang Band drivers. I dislike the Audio Nirvana, Lii Audio and similar ones. But the next person will disagree probally...

So first set your goal, and then come again...

Hello, I personally own several full range drivers:

Alpair 7.3
Alpair 10P
Alpair 11MS
Jordan Eikona 2
SEAS FA22rcz

All are very good, honestly! In my opinion, for the money the SEAS FA22rcz would be my choice and a very close 2nd the Alpair 11MS. The SEAS driver being more versatile and easier to use, especially when using a sealed cabinet...

Reactions: 1 user
The Eikonas have a very open and wide soundstage and present the lead vocal or instrument a little further back in between the speakers. In contrast the Alpair 11MS have the vocal more pronounced and further out towards the listener.
The SEAS driver is super smooth and realistic sounding to my ears. It has a super wide soundstage and has a slight rise in FR around 3K which accentuates the vocals to sound extra crisp and detailed.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I recorded the sound under identical conditions for many drivers here.

As noted many times before, recorded with X’s amplifier, microphone, and the rest of his kit, then played back on a completely alien system, there is so many complicating factors, the most important aspects of a driver are long gone before you listen to them.

Take X’s ill thot out excersize with a lot of salt on your shoulder. It must have been a lot of work.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Alpair 7.3
Alpair 10P
Alpair 11MS
Jordan Eikona 2
SEAS FA22rcz

I like that list, mostly.

As Matt has said, no one can get anywhere near even sampling a small portion of the FR richness now out there. We can ony list those that each of us like.

I have heard more than most.

A7.3eN and A7 MAOP at the top of the list. Maops will become eN at some point. P7HD slots in here now.
A7ms taked mid/top a bit further, box has to be good to keep control at the bottom.
A10p and A10.3 (eN in my case) are 6 of one, half dozen of the other, the A10.3 getting really close to the A7.3 mid/top, the A10p a vintage top end and a favorite of the samll Single Ended amplifier crowd. Both have more bass potential. A11ms simile, same comments as A7ms. Here i will mention the Eikona, i prefer A11ms and A10.3eN. I have a pair for sale. With boxes if wanted. All of the Mark Audios evolved from what Mark learned from Ted so many resemblances. Original A10 was VERY similar to JX92s.
A5.2/3 (and the CHN-50 on a budget) are superb mid/top being 3” do not do bass. Superb midTweeters and excellent for near-field.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

CHN-110 is also excellent value.

The SEAS FA22 and Visaton B200 are my favorite 8” (both with phase plugs added). The B200 has enclosure issues. The FA22 fits a simple sealed box.

While Mark Audio produce a solid line of drivers (there are some that are aquired taste), we have mentioned a couple above but FF85wk gets as goos as A5.2eN once tarted up as well with the addiitonal mods to deal with issues common across teh FFxx5wk line, the FF105wk and FF165wk also good. FE103 SOL if you can find as well.

I have listened to a few TBs (maybe a dozen), i have found them OK, not outstanding, some overly procey and some QC issues. I do have one pair of unobtainium TB 3” that are outstanding. They will go for free with a set of pre-built FH-Lite “fat-paks” i have.

The Audio Nirvanas i have heard, have been either poor or really poor value.

There are more. Counting duplicates some 5k+ FRs thru here.

I have heard many outstanding vintage FRs, some goos, some not.

The best FR is the one that most connects you to the music in your room with your gear. There may be more than 1.

dave

Hello, I personally own several full range drivers:

Alpair 7.3
Alpair 10P
Alpair 11MS
Jordan Eikona 2
SEAS FA22rcz

All are very good, honestly! In my opinion, for the money the SEAS FA22rcz would be my choice and a very close 2nd the Alpair 11MS. The SEAS driver being more versatile and easier to use, especially when using a sealed cabinet...

Is your Alpair 7.3 the same as this pair from Madiound, ie Alpair-7MS Gold or Grey Cone 5" Full Range
Markaudio Alpair-7MS Gold Cone 5" Full Range

if not which one?
thanks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The P7HD is a development on the A7.3, new basket and a few details, so lets call it A7.3.5 (there have already been a bunch of tweaks). dArcher has none.

A7ms
a7ms_gold-1081x1596.png

A7.3

Alpair7g3-pictures.jpg

Darcher has A6.2m. Very much a smaller A7.3, less bottom, loudness, better dispersion, more control up top.

a6m-1081x1596.png

Mark Audio 6M

They also have the sought after A10p.

a10p-1081x1596.png

Mark Audio 10P

There are pockets of the NLA drivers around. I have A7.3 and A6.2.

dave

You know that Dave has, in fact, retired from driver modifications and sales, right? Very hard to be truly objective when making incorrect statements. ;)

As I recall, he's selling off what units and boxes he still has gathering dust in his basement however, so you never know -you might pick up a bargain.

Last edited: