Best enclosure for 15" audio nirvana?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a K-tube slotted pipe tweeter can be very good, easy to make, cost effective and probably around 100dB sensitive - Eminence ASD-1001 bolt on, PRV 280ti, Dayton polymide drivers (sometimes on sale for $39.95)

a typical tube based upon Transylvania Power Company's "THE TUBE" would be made of one inch ID pipe, (rolled paper will do for proof of concept), ~5.3" overall length. Thin plywood can be used for the plate to bolt it to the compression driver. The slot is gapped 1/8" at the start and curve half-ellipse.

the original use of the K-tube was in John Karlson's 'X15" speaker system which was introduced in 1965.

Unlike a CD waveguide, a K-tube due to its size and characteristics typically will need no contouring to play "flat"

a paper template, marker, Dremel type tool and sandpaper to smooth is all that's needed besides perhaps some thin Baltic birch plywood and flat bit to make a hole for the K-tube

its good in a lot of tweeter applications to use something like a 211 incandescent automotive bulb as a soft limiter (Eminence employs two of those in parallel in their generic crossover

I've got over a hundred theater organ cds and many lps - love those things - hehe

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

he11_lansche_chassis_web.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

vDI1Ki0.jpg

kMwSfs1.jpg

"a typical tube based upon Transylvania Power Company's "THE TUBE" would be made of one inch ID pipe, (rolled paper will do for proof of concept), ~5.3" overall length. Thin plywood can be used for the plate to bolt it to the compression driver. The slot is gapped 1/8" at the start and curve half-ellipse."
Just WHAT, exactly, does this tube do the sound of the compression driver? Will it work on any CD?

Just a total newbie question here:
Would it make sense to bould these into i small sealed enclosure, and use it as a reference monitor?
I don’t have a lot of free floor space for OB design nor the preference for bass reflex or transmissionline enclosures, but i’d like to get a clean and even frequencyresponse down to 35-40hz

nope. These drivers need big boxes, or no boxes, in order to behave well. Put them in a small sealed box and there will be a big peak in the bass which instead of sounding cool will sound as if the speaker can only play one bass note and below that note the response will drop off quickly. The brave soul could think about a box which is full of sound absorbing material to absorb all the rearward energy so that it becomes more like an infinite baffle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.