Best electrolytic capacitors

I assume you include only the well known engineers writing under their own names here, right? :)

Cause looking at some of the better sounding commercial kit there are plenty of cap-obsessed designers. Do we need to compile a reference list?

i am sure there are a lot, what is the point?

i comment with reference to myself, you can have your own opinions and that is also alright....

capacitors are not subject to debate as far as i am concerned, as long as you are happy with your capacitors, then that is it.....

just about all the relevant technical information has been collated in the 1980 article about picking capacitors in the Audio magazine, the authors are members here and at time posting also.....

Im an old fart now Tony, wish that Im younger cause the man that I admire most is Elon Musk. Just think of it when he started Space X, Nasa must have been laughing their socks off but just look at where Space X is today & what Elon must have been up against when he started Space X zero background against Nasa's knowledge. Look whose having the last laugh now.

Cheers

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Elon would probably figure out all audio mysteries over a single weekend. Sadly, he seems to have more important things to do for now :)

Here we are, I like the guy cause the joke : the cab in the space ! A rational engineer would have said cause all the technical information collected, better to have a roof and sealed windows for the driver ! But man hey : no roof :D

We don't know at this point if the cab have an audio system despite there is no air outside, lol !

And here is I wanted to say, it's very revelant with some posters : they show their titles, I'm engineer, etc... so I know, I made first class devices, etc ! That's a class feeling to say on a vertical scale you are an idiot. There is nothing smart in that attitude cause nothing is about science with this attitude and too much engineers don't know enough about epistimology. Btw that's why they are not most of the time NOT scientists too. Nothing bad here, it's a reflex of human being when they don't master and are in the inconfort zone, their mind and tongue drift, me the first ! But hey caps are not so much rocket science nowadays, so they should calm down more about their behavior and just if they would like to do so take some time to investigate with more open mind. But of course, I'm the first to say, better to spend time to listen music ... which is all our goal here and we share the same good feeling about the music :)

But my feeling is their words about caps when some are outside the textbook here (rules they respect btw or the circuitry would not work) are also opinions.

And no, I don't think all the people we all know that had written about caps have said it all. I personally find the last I read in some known mag. here is quite limited with a cruel lake of imagination about the protocols. Just my pinion, of course, not a an universal truth.

Musk is a deer, sorry a dare guy that hits multidimensional and think outside the frontiers without raping the technical paradigms. His best talent is to take controlled financial risks. But huge risks... there is no great triumph (oh a cab yet!) without big risk !

So both frontiers of our audio caps world are opinions as far the circuitry don't break. When many think in an ABX tests that a devices, sorry a whole system, sounds best, without knowing it was capacitors optimized, then we are certainly in the collective hysteria, lol !

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
You are right of course. Once you start digging deeper there are some unpleasant truths to uncover.

With some caps the year of manufacture is decisive. With most it is also the rating, both in voltage and capacitance. All very annoying.

And of course there is that mysterious system synergy.

Indeed I had discovered that as well... but it's hard to identify cause also lytics are chemical... so sometimes it can be how we stock them... You can just know when you have bought the same ref in a short time at diferent authorized places in a short time windows : Mouser , Digikey, Farnell, etc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Putting his genius aside it is his fundamental mind set that drives him to where he is today.

Sumo, one day you will be wize and find than lichen and mosses on a garden is all that matters :) ! Not the money and glory :p !

But I have to say something (for the one that seen the end of the Marvel movie) :

"I AM Iron-Man" :p:D Iron Man - I Am Iron Man (Full scene) - YouTube

Im an old fart now Tony, wish that Im younger cause the man that I admire most is Elon Musk. Just think of it when he started Space X, Nasa must have been laughing their socks off but just look at where Space X is today & what Elon must have been up against when he started Space X zero background against Nasa's knowledge. Look whose having the last laugh now.

Cheers

Albert Einstein is much revered around the world though few understand him, people tend to idolize another for things they do not understand...Charlie Chaplain also was admired by many even thought they can not hear him.....

when people describe the sound as being bright or bassy or even dynamic, i wonder how much of that is due to the capacitor....

so when i read comments from the likes of you, questions like, what music was he playing?, at what volume level? with what speakers? with what size room? from which listening position? form in my head.....i was never in the same room at the same time that your opinions were formed....

and since i do not have answers to all of these, i just take your opinions for what they are, opinions......

again, if you are happy, i can be happy for you....

Here we are, I like the guy cause the joke : the cab in the space ! A rational engineer would have said cause all the technical information collected, better to have a roof and sealed windows for the driver ! But man hey : no roof :D

We don't know at this point if the cab have an audio system despite there is no air outside, lol !

And here is I wanted to say, it's very revelant with some posters : they show their titles, I'm engineer, etc... so I know, I made first class devices, etc ! That's a class feeling to say on a vertical scale you are an idiot. There is nothing smart in that attitude cause nothing is about science with this attitude and too much engineers don't know enough about epistimology. Btw that's why they are not most of the time NOT scientists too. Nothing bad here, it's a reflex of human being when they don't master and are in the inconfort zone, their mind and tongue drift, me the first ! But hey caps are not so much rocket science nowadays, so they should calm down more about their behavior and just if they would like to do so take some time to investigate with more open mind. But of course, I'm the first to say, better to spend time to listen music ... which is all our goal here and we share the same good feeling about the music :)

But my feeling is their words about caps when some are outside the textbook here (rules they respect btw or the circuitry would not work) are also opinions.

And no, I don't think all the people we all know that had written about caps have said it all. I personally find the last I read in some known mag. here is quite limited with a cruel lake of imagination about the protocols. Just my pinion, of course, not a an universal truth.

Musk is a dare that hits multidimensional and think outside the frontiers without raping the technical paradigms. His best talent is to take controlled financial risks. But huge risks... there is no great triumph (oh a cab yet!) without big risk !

So both frontiers of our audio caps world are opinions as far the circuitry don't break. When many think in an ABX tests that a devices, sorry a whole system, sounds best, without knowing it was capacitors optimized, then we are certainly in the collective hysteria, lol !

I never read so much rubbish.
Btw Elon Musk is clearly not a genius, he has lots of money that he pays clever people to design his products and just who are these clever people.....well they're called "Engineers"

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I never read so much rubbish.
Btw Elon Musk is clearly not a genius, he has lots of money that he pays clever people to design his products and just who are these clever people.....well they're called "Engineers"

guess, you're engineer, no ?:D

You're my prophet... all those people that work for people that are less clever than them :D ! Btw I said the oposite of what you believe to understand : I have not said it is a genius, jusrt a clever man... And No engineer are not the alpha and omega of th emodern world, what a laugh and a lack of culture to think like you do (that's for the rubish):(

Yet, without Elon none of those clever people will ever create anything much, right? Just workers in a bee hive, each and every one of them instantly replaceable.

Lots of engineers at Nasa without Elon.......dont need to be a Elon to create or design anything.

Without engineers Elon would be just a dreamer.

Elon Musk is a visionary....he imagines things that he wanted done and got people to do them.....with his money of course....money makes the world go round....

Elon is just a sales and marketing guy just in the same way Steve Jobs was.
They just surround themselves with clever people.

guess, you're engineer, no ?:D
You're my prophet... all those people that work for people that are less clever than them :D ! Btw I said the oposite of what you believe to understand : I have not said it is a genius, jusrt a clever man... And No engineer are not the alpha and omega of th emodern world, what a laugh and a lack of culture to think like you do (that's for the rubish):(

You clearly have no idea about the real world.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Comon... so easy dialectic... you are just defending a class feeling and clearly about ego... that's the sad truth and real world, you can not think outside your square. Exactly as I described it two mails above.

Engineers are clearly not scientists but clearly think they are... they just aplly a grammar that some more clever (well not always, you can not just cleverness just with exams) and exceptions found and some people pay to make idea they have. But hey, yes, engineers are clearly a club ;) . Thanks (luckilly) to us they don't rule the world. Maybe sadly enough to have made it a rubish (well they are not alone and were paid for that as a tooth of wheel in which we all are... sorry for the picture, just to make it short and say they are not guilty but just to think they are so... well, like they beleive they are !)

Last edited:
A handful of us here eat components for breakfast, lunch & dinner ya Analog_
Sa. Lol. Just so tired of so many arguing that there's no sound differences in components. The worse sin that I've noticed is many diy guys chooses component by just looking at specs alone. Does super specs equals super sound ?????

Cheers

No way! I met many DIY people in my life with self made preamps, DAC output stages or poweramps. Many of them did use technically very good components. I.e.: Beyschlag resistors (now owned by Vishay) = gritty, bass & body shy, in the face upper mids and highs, no stage depth, the cheapest 1W carbon resistor from mouser is so much easier on the ear. Maybe it is a bit too dark and bass is not as tight as a piece of copper wire but you can listen for hours. Many metal film resistors do sound like Freddy Kruger comin out of the speakers and cutting your ears.

Or Rubycon ZA/ZL ecaps, extreme low ESR and overall one of the best ecaps out there but in the same time IMO the worst sounding ecaps I've ever heard. Simply unbearable.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I agree with you on both SinGun.

We are not talking in this thread about nothing else than the sounding differences, caps can do in a circuitry. And as it's a sum nd subjective as we all agree, it's less easier to abstact than some other items as : reliability, cost, etc.

I very agree bout the Rubycon you talked and btw never begun a talk about that the designer of my daily dac that care about caps and passive parts and trade offs choose by selecting them. I needed to swap them for something else and different for each rails. Of course it may be the rest of the listening system that differs as well. But I never liked those txo you talk about... and I hve genuine ones (they were copies).

Datasheets are needed (you must need it) but not suffice as far it's about the final result checked by ears (and yes we know about placebo, nocebo etc)