Best electrolytic capacitors

Btw guys my 2 cents, never populate a board with all the same type of capacitors. This is a recipe for disaster if your aiming for good overall sound. Combi of different types are best but this will take up lots of time to test. Im not a fan of Silmic ll but stragely I found great sucess in ps of digital circuit. Pls note the Silmic ll that Im speaking of are the taller Jap types . The ones that you guys are using brown/white does not work well. It creates a bloated fat sound. Another good oprtion to try is Nichicon KZ with ES Bipolar caps, this creates a nice balance without sounding tizzy or splashy

Forgot about this guys, Nichicon Super Through for PS is very good too. This you’ve got to experiment cause on some analog circuits there’s a slight forwardness but overall it’s very good cause you hear layers into the instruments which I don’t hear from other caps BG included. I got mine from Mouser

Epcos were mentioned. I didn’t think Mouser still sold the Super Though anymore.

Sumotan, you had mentioned that 100uf is a bit much for a typical reg output, what have you found to work better? Am curious...
Was going to expiriment here some more, but wanted to hear what you had found.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one else likes the Silmic's? :confused:
For power suply, Vishay too has a extensive catalog, from 048 to 106 and beyond...And Wurth capacitors appear to have good DS numbers, slightly more expensive than the others...
MFG_WCAP-AIL8.jpg

Too too many varietiesto try Karl. lol It would be great for all to post their findings of caps here. Philips use to have some nice sounding power caps & I think BC caps are similar. So far when power amps are concern I favor Mlytic, having said that, there’s something special in the Super Through, the cons of it is forwardness & slighly slower in bass.

Ok, thanks. Yes, I totally agree, too many caps to try/mention. My apologies. (interesting though the speed in bass response some caps can deliver).

But Anyway...Things probably were much easier in the past, say 40 years ago, just a few bunch of brands for general purposes. I still have some old power supply caps, they haven't drift that much of original specs and ERS are still pretty ok.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

Those looks interesting Karl. No apologies needed, we all are here to share. So far in terms of bass Mlytic goes deep & sounds very even from top to bottom. I also tried Aerovox Slit Foil caps in another amp build, not to bad as well. My tweaking experience thought me that low esr is not the be all, it really depends on where the caps are being used.

I can't afford BG caps. I'm open to other suggestions for smoothing caps. Silmic II?

unfortunately i couldn't locate my Silmic II. But if I want to choose (unknown or suspicious) capacitor for decoupling and I don't want to waste time by listening to them, I just choose the one with the lowest Vloss. That's because the better caps for that purpose, from my observation, tend to have the lowest Vloss. The lowest Vloss of all aluminium caps that I know of is Black Gate Std and F (I think F is lower). Of course these extremely low loss caps also tend to have low ESR as well (below 0.3 Ohm).

My tweaking experience thought me that low esr is not the be all, it really depends on where the caps are being used.
Believe me or not, the most important factor that determine sound quality is the distortion 'profile' (including the spectrum of the harmonics), not the distortion itself. Capacitor is designed mainly for ripple reduction and noise reduction, that's why emphasize has been put on ESR, which you have found that it has no critical correlation with sound quality. People also believe that performance above the audio band is not important, while I found that it is very critical. ESR is constant over frequency, but ESL increases.

Unfortunately, without advanced measurement tools, it is impossible to guess. But this can be addressed actively.

Those looks interesting Karl. No apologies needed, we all are here to share. So far in terms of bass Mlytic goes deep & sounds very even from top to bottom. I also tried Aerovox Slit Foil caps in another amp build, not to bad as well. My tweaking experience thought me that low esr is not the be all, it really depends on where the caps are being used.
That's interesting, I have here these BHC (from 1996), I believe also slit foil, but the uF values went pretty down: these are measuring ~7400uF (sorry to flood the thread with photos)

The old 10,000uF Elna's (and Matsushita's 12,000uF), instead, are still in specs, measuring ~9800uF (and ~11400uF for the Matsushita's). Some told those were built in another way, more robust, etc, but I don't know if it's true. Fact is they are still in specs after all these years...