Best electrolytic capacitors

but over all the above i was always thinking why not use tube pre instead of fighting with the electrolytic caps and yes I found tube pre addition much better than anything above. Stop researching on best capacitor and just add a good simple tube pre and you are done.
No need. Best to use a preamp with no electrolytics in the signal path. There are solid state preamps that employ such technology.

For my big amp rail decoupling, 100v, I'm using some F&T, no harshness, like them a lot.
I also have some Mundorf in the power supply of my jc2 headphone amp, along with silmic ars for decoupling. The Mundorf have a nice way of helping to bring out a nice low, pinpoint bass.

but over all the above i was always thinking why not use tube pre instead of fighting with the electrolytic caps and yes I found tube pre addition much better than anything above. Stop researching on best capacitor and just add a good simple tube pre and you are done.

not really relevant to or constructive for this discussion but i do indeed have a pretty decent tube preamp. it sounds very good but this SS preamp is part of an integrated that's just much more convenient for everyday use. the best component is the one you use and i've decommissioned the tubes for the time being.

Here you go i have fiddled with silmics for 3 years to get the right position they never sound good just as decoupling in IC based circuits either its OPamp or voltage drivers like lme498xx series.
The best signature of silmic has to be in regulators and use normal capacitors in amplifiers etc.

The reason seems that i always felt that even a value of 1uf does degrade the sound lost in details or smearing of tones too rounded sound. Freq response measures the same but why does this happen was always a question to me.
Instead try using it only in preamp but bigger value like 1000uf/25v you will see the advantage of this cap.
One word even little is very high dose in amps so use it in preamp regulators. That is where i found best position after 3 years of observation of various values form 1uf to 3300uf and listening to it for min 300hours each...

Yes I can't more agree than that ! Same conclusions in my experience and if you can forgett it totally and choose carefully some others reference it is even better ! Silmic 2 is too much a myth in relation to the much more different and finally better Silmic (I) and the other red Elna one :) !

Looking for Oscon but what brand?

Here is the problem that i need your help.

I need to replace power supply/decouple in a preamp I would agree the silmic II does not fit everywhere, values i need 2200uf and 3500uf i could put slightly less capacitance like 2700uf too 25v will work

Where can i purchase these Oscon capacitors in the values I need

Lawrence

Still continue...

What im afraid here, if you got a big factory and you need your
bussiness to continue, why dont we make the things with the
Similar can, print and plating gold

Producer didnt need big profit but need bussiness still running

Is there anybody here can guarantee that their silmic is original?
Everybody always said that im buy from here (and must be ori)

As i heared silmic ars totally different with silmic ii nowdays
Going back to few years ago silmic ii only had more bass only

Last edited:
Yes that's odd, myself I find the green Nichicon bipolar of the 80's/90's I had in philips, Marantz cd players I bought second hand for 10 euros sound 3 times better than the same exact value bought today at Mouser, Farnell ! (in serie DC blocking at the output)

I even made ABX test on that as I think I was dreaming ! But no, the abx confirm !

Is there an industrial explanation to that ? (factory factor, materials, commodities, etc ) ?

I need to replace power supply/decouple in a preamp I would agree the silmic II does not fit everywhere, values i need 2200uf and 3500uf i could put slightly less capacitance like 2700uf too 25v will work

Lawrence

Hi,

Try Panasonic FC 2500 to 3200 /25V

Originally Posted by Sk8Ter View Post

Try Europe!

Lawrence
putting your reply inside the quote kind of loses it's effectiveness !

Measure the 30 year old ones to see what you like about them.
I did measure several Silmic's Marantz uses for coupling in amp and cdplayers. Technically they fail within 5 years.

Yes that's odd, myself I find the green Nichicon bipolar of the 80's/90's I had in philips, Marantz cd players I bought second hand for 10 euros sound 3 times better than the same exact value bought today at Mouser, Farnell ! (in serie DC blocking at the output)

I even made ABX test on that as I think I was dreaming ! But no, the abx confirm !

Is there an industrial explanation to that ? (factory factor, materials, commodities, etc ) ?

If I knew what is corelate to a better sound here I will certainly measure it ! But my ears say it's better (and other ears as well) : so maybe they don't act as a cap anymore ! Lol !

Measurement stays valid as far you know what is checked, but measurement for measurement doesn't say too much !

The most problem is with elna factory itself

some store here always said we cant afford if we bought from elna cause of
VERY BIG AMOUNT CAPACITOR ASKING. So some store bought from the asia
market

you can looks why the printing different sometimes one another, for big factory
maybe they change set up if they had spare time to make another line production
so i guest ...

Nowhere, they are not produced.
SANYO OSCON:
Max. capacitance is 2200uF, but only @ 4V voltage.
Max. voltage is 25V, but only @ 56uF capacitance.

Sanyo sold Oscon line of capacitors to Panasonic, you can search for Panasonic Oscon.

Last edited:
I rather try something different in this position so where can i purchase oscon in the values I need

Curious why you're so set on OSCON. I haven't tried but I heard they can sound pretty terrible in analog circuits. The impedance is crazy low and can set off all kinds of resonance issues in a circuit that isn't damped to work with them. Also limited values as @stormsonic mentioned.

Curious why you're so set on OSCON. I haven't tried but I heard they can sound pretty terrible in analog circuits. The impedance is crazy low and can set off all kinds of resonance issues in a circuit that isn't damped to work with them. Also limited values as @stormsonic mentioned.

I am open to other possibilities and the oscon being very low esr would work in this situation

if you happen to have other possibilities in what I need please let me know

Thanks for you guys help

Lawrence