Best electrolytic capacitors

Keep on

Tks apolo, but I was hoping not to have to buy any more caps. :) Any feeling for what I might be able to use from the others I already have on hand? (see post #545)
Don't worry, they don't cost a lot for what you are looking for... ;)

You can add to your next list :D those Nichicon HE ones and Panasonic FR series as well.

The FR has (on paper) low ERS, but longer life than FM, higher ripple, etc.......

After a new and final set of tests, including other caps suggested here, you should reach your ultimate "midrange and high end sound". You can also make a combination of caps.

It's also fun, not an obligation. Some people take years searching for the best sound possible their ears can hear.

I'm happy with my NCC/UCC various series... :D

Last edited:
So the funny part is, I was going to wait until this weekend to switch out the Nichicons. I sat and listened to some more vinyl tonight and the midrange is no longer flat and dry and the high end has opened up. Sounds as good as I remember it sounding. Glad I waited, although I am curious as to how the others would have done.

Reading 59 pages of capacitors that were discussed along the years doesn't look like a good plan.

A friend of mine has to replace the PS capacitors and some DC output blockers, generally 47uF, all through hole, of course.

The preamp is a Harman Kardon 725. with a really good discrete circuit, with 2SK106 FETs at the input. It's an old design, probably late '80s or early '90s, so it's worth replacing some passive parts.

He's thinking of increasing the PS capacitor, which is now 470uF and I think should go up to 2200uF at least. The PS diodes deserve improving, perhaps with some fast/low decay type.

The regulator is with a zener, which I think is a shame, but I don't think my friend will want to change that, which would mean major mod. First regulation is +/-22 which goes through the zener and becomes +/- 10v.

So questions:

1) DC blocking capacitors, not filmic, which to go for?

2) PS large cap supply, anything better than Panasonic FC to look for?

The preamp just needs 16v, for a 47uF apparently bipolar. I say that because they do not specify it as that on the manual, but it has no + polarity as other 'lytics have on the schematic.

Bateman suggests using two bipolar in series, in this case it should be two 100uF. Has anyone tried and listened to this suggestion?

What caps for the power supply?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Time to start saving. Audio Note UK has apparently been working with Rubycon on an (improved?) Blackgate replacement due fall of 2015. Expect high prices (Audio Note profits) to continue, but if the new caps really do replicate or improve on Blackgate sonics then that's the price of admission.

The preamp just needs 16v, for a 47uF apparently bipolar. I say that because they do not specify it as that on the manual, but it has no + polarity as other 'lytics have on the schematic.

Bateman suggests using two bipolar in series, in this case it should be two 100uF. Has anyone tried and listened to this suggestion?

What caps for the power supply?
I used four 1mF polarised in series/parallel to feed a headphone. Two with + to + and the other two with - to -, then these two series combinations wired as a parallel set to give an effective 1mF bipolar.
It seemed to work, but since I don't use headphones much I can't really comment on comparative quality.

Why always "opinions" in audio ? We need hard data.

Polymers :

1) Usually, huge leakage

=> if used to decouple/filter high impedance node like voltage reference, you may have a bad day
=> if used as DC blocking cap in the audio path, well it's supposed to prevent current flowing through...

2) Usually, ESR too low

=> When used for decoupling, watch out for those pesky underdamped LC resonators