Best drivers for Open Baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess it's nothing wrong being sentimental just a bit. The bad old speakers are not all bad. There were good and crappy. Today again we have good and crappy. Distribution of good and these other is arguable....now and then. But we will go waaaay into offtopic.

I have did some short songs on a better camera, but it is blocked for USA, youtube blocks everything even cripple parts of music for tests, I did make short songs and even then blocked??? UMG u are a child, I do not LIKE this childhood things, so I can post nothing on youtube, get a live.

But for Europe, yes you can see it, we are grown up guys,

http://www.youtube.com/copynotice?video_id=X6hNs4dxxe0#

Last edited:
I guess it's nothing wrong being sentimental just a bit. The bad old speakers are not all bad. There were good and crappy. Today again we have good and crappy. Distribution of good and these other is arguable....now and then. But we will go waaaay into offtopic.

Hehehe

Oke, but see this, very nice, Ifffff the chinese did let here the real sound of the box, and yes chinese are a little deaf for booms, old things are/have some kind of energy, like homes, I like that very much, totch a tree of 1000 years old, and feel that wisdom.

Oke I get floating a bit:p but here the link, I did like the sound, instrumental like, better camera then me.

SIEMENS 6W Open back speaker box ????????????? 2 - YouTube

regards

Youtube has indeed not the best sound because off compression and afcourse my mobile phone who record it, the chinese idem dito, like dawg65 say, there is information in it if you listen the right way, low and high exspecial the low, but I go do some tests with the sub on differend places.

in real in my home it sounds very good, nice deep bass, warm and important a lot of detail witch youtube do not give through, that I missing there.

not offtopic completely because I dit post open baffles on youtube with a TQWT sub support for bass.

I have no doubt that you speakers sound nice in your home. My point is that there is absolutely no way to convey that sound through YouTube. And you are not alone. I see many threads where a builder records his latest creation through YouTube with the expectation that the finer points of the sound can be conveyed to others. It cannot. Prove this to yourself. Get another pair of speakers. Play your OB's. Now play the YouTube version through the other speakers. Sound the same?

Bob

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If a YouTube video's audio portion is recorded with a quality digital audio recorder and mic setup - there should be a pretty good representation - as good as moderate rate mp3 and provided you listen to it with high quality studio monitor headphones. There are many very good audio recordings that are hard to find but of acceptable quality on YouTube - there is no video associated with them other than a still picture of the album cover.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I also need a new pair of headphones. I will call around and ask the salesman if he could hold each pair up to the phone so I can select the best set. I'm considering Klipsch, Beats and the electrostatics from AKG.

Plain Old Telephone System (POTS) bandwidth is probably 300 Hz to 3500 Hz, so you are not getting anything near what they can do other than voice range. The most important thing with headphones is fit and how comfortable they are to wear more than an hour.

This is kind of OT but you might want to consider multi-way balanced armature in ear monitors (headphones) with soft conforming foam ear pieces. They isolate external noise by about -30dB and have very high sensitivity of about 114 dB/mW. I find them much more comfortable than external headphones for long periods as they weigh next to nothing.

You are also missing the point. The only way that the YouTube recording can sound like the speakers being recorded is to play that recording on the speakers being recorded. Played back on any other speakers will sound like the speakers is is being played on. You simply cannot make any judgment on a pair of speakers by recording them and playing them back on different speakers.

A recording on YouTube that is made electronically direct will sound like the original recording played through whatever speakers are attached to the listener's system. This is entirely different from making a recording of speakers and then replaying it on different speakers.

Bob

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That is why the playback speakers need to be reference quality studio monitor headphones. Assuming the monitor headphones have a flat or neutral response over the entire audible bandwidth from 20 Hz t 20kHz then any coloration or artifacts of the speaker being recorded will be reproduced with the monitors. Take YouTube out of it - what I am saying is that the recording process is a series of transformations. Assuming the mic is perfect, the recording is perfect, the playback monitor is perfect - any distortions or colorations must have come from the speaker in question. Even when not perfect, bass extension, midrange shout, or high end sibilance can be picked up. You can't say that there is no value to a good recording - if so, then the only way music is meant to be heard is to be there live. We all make speakers to listen to stuff recorded elsewhere. We certainly don't play it back on the same PA speakers that are used at the live event.

If a YouTube video's audio portion is recorded with a quality digital audio recorder and mic setup - there should be a pretty good representation - as good as moderate rate mp3 and provided you listen to it with high quality studio monitor headphones. There are many very good audio recordings that are hard to find but of acceptable quality on YouTube - there is no video associated with them other than a still picture of the album cover.

Yes I do now, you need at least a pc coupled on a high end system for get a idea about the bass and such, the quality of youtube but also the mic in the camera is not ideal, however sometimes I can get a small picture about the sound,, if youtube sound nice then in real it is a lot nicer. Most what I want to test is bass, this can be tested in youtube but also here the mic of camera is just the key here, how low will it record.

But good idea, to record only sound and with still image, maybe this is a way to get better sound, I do use Hd in youtube who give even better sound, but need a song who is not blocked in youtube, the most she do block, little schild behavior of the owners, somebody here do now?.

regards.

Last edited:
You are either not listening or simply have to have the last word. Obviously everyone has studio monitors or $500 headsets. And from the picture it is clear that the recording was made in a well treated studio with professional quality mics and recording equipment.

I give up.
Bob

You are either not listening or simply have to have the last word. Obviously everyone has studio monitors or $500 headsets. And from the picture it is clear that the recording was made in a well treated studio with professional quality mics and recording equipment.

I give up.
Bob

You are right, youtube is not the way to listen, I agree, it is mucho less good as real, but coming to the states to let people listen is also not a cheap idea, but it is nice to let it see on youtube, we all now it is far from perfect.

here a new recording, now with a baffle correction, I can here the difference also on youtube, but it is still a far from perfect sound also because of mic.

open baffle with TQWT sub support - YouTube

Oke, back to the open baffles, I see sometimes baffles who is folded and then 45 degree wings, small upwards and wide downwards, maybe this is a nice idea to make mine smaller then it is now, top and bottom has no wing and is normal open.

regards.

That is why the playback speakers need to be reference quality studio monitor headphones. Assuming the monitor headphones have a flat or neutral response over the entire audible bandwidth from 20 Hz to 20kHz then...

This is a very bad assumption! "Reference quality" is just a marketing term. Go look at some actual measurements of headphones and you will see that they are anything but flat.

See for instance:
Do Objective Headphone Measurements Correlate to the Audiophile's Subjective Experience?

This web page has lots of measurements of 'phones as pdf files:
Headphone Data Sheet Downloads | InnerFidelity

Wel, the live presentation of music can only be feel with live instruments without any box or amp, all even the very expexive ones sound differend in compare to original recording or puur instruments, but we can get close, and technologie of speakers get better al the time. but we get offf topic.

yes some loudpeaker makers do see open baffle as a nice system and make speakers for it with higher qts.

regards.

Open Baffle Drivers

Hi I am a "newbe" and I am very interested in building an open baffle speaker .I am not anywhere even close to as smart as the folks on this forum .But I am Invested in the hobby: I have klipsch lascala and a McIntosh pre amp and a Modified version of the dynaco st-70 amp but instead of el-34's it uses kt 88's and provides 60 wpc . [32 in triode] Excuse my spelling please . I have a pair of 7"x10" telefunkins from the 1950's that I put into a""baffle" .I simply cut a sheet of plywood in half and put the drivers about 4" above center and I must say wow! I really want to build a pair with ? an 18" woofer and an "full" range & a tweeter I like the idea of very simple x-over. I have the woodworking skills and tools but don't have any idea of x-over needs . I do have these hopes: that I can hear a more extended version of these telefukins . And I do have just enough knowledge to know I have probably asked more questions than I know! THANK YOU for your expertise and your patience .Scott in sunny Eugene .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.