Best audio magazines / writers?

Current Hobby Hifi Editor Bernd Timmermanns was the founder of K&T in the 90ies or late 80ies, as far as I remember. There has been a split up some day which I don't know much of.
Klang&Ton has since then turned more into a presentation of industry loudspeaker-kits without too much technical background.
I do like Hobby Hifi with it's in-depth technical explanations very much, but agree to those who think the measurement methods should be updated after 30 years (only on-axis and 30° FR, for example).
I do enjoy Timmermans' technical explanations, too. I just wish he'd broaden his horizon a bit. I really do not need the one hundredth explanation of "Geschlossen mit Hochpass". An in depth article on measuring room acoustics or just simply measuring at all with REW would be interesting for a change.

I really liked his work on rear mounted abience speakers. His work is stereotypically german, very thorough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Everyone has biases or an agenda. Just like the car mags, audio mags are subject to outside influences. Test measurements can help but there is so much variability in absolutely everything else from the room, ancillaries, and most importantly, people’s ears! Every one of us has heard a speaker that people rave about and thought they sucked! I start my evaluation by how something is built before I even listen to it. I listen to it using the system it will go in to. If I like it, I don’t really overly obsess with specs. We’ve all heard stuff that has slightly higher distortions that sounds better than the ‘cleaner’ product. Frequently, in the search for perfection we lose the music!
if you find a reviewer that is objective and unbiased only then can the review be a guide to seeing if you feel the same way. Often I just use reviews to make me aware of a new product to look in to myself. You can’t fully trust anyone except your mother, maybe!

Here in Germany there are two speaker building magazines worth recommending: Klang & Ton and Hobby Hifi. I'm actually amazed they still manage to survive. They are pretty dedicated to passive speakers. though. I'd like to read about some DIY options for streamers, active speakers or amps every now and then. Sometimes those can be found in Elektor.
There is also this one online;
https://hifi-selbstbau.de/index.php/hsb-datenblaetter

I find their measurements a lot more thorough and objective.
It's also much cheaper.

Back than I used to collect lots of magazine, Stereophile, Absolute Sound, Hi-Fi World, Hi-Fi Choice,
Hi-fi News but what blew me away was the first release of HIFI Plus. Very very well written & presented.
It was so different in the way it was written as compared to the rest.

according the image of April 2001 (Issue 10) the first Issue is from July 2000 or Sep/Oct 1999

hifi+apr.2001 issue 10-I.jpg

hifi+apr.2001 issue 10-II.jpg hifi+apr.2001 issue 10-III.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: