best 6.5'' aluminum driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have not tried it but this one does not look bad :
http://www.tymphany.com/files/HDS-P835025 Rev2_0.pdf

Joachim,

I ordered two of these and they measure pretty much on spec, which is what I know Peerless for.

It is a very well made driver with the leads to the VC woven into the spider. For woofers, this is a big thing; flapping leads can be a important contributor to distortion and other artifacts.

The only reason I have not applied it yet is because I am working on another prototype right now, but I think it is highly recommendable, certainly considering the price.

Joachim, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the build quality. The only 'gadget' missing is a pierced pole piece, but in view of ample ventilation behind the dust cap, I don't think to have it would give an improvement.

Peerless has shown before that there is no hard relationship between the cost of a driver and its performance.
When I come around to it this weekend I will do some quick measurements as well.

This one has both holes in the vc former and even larger holes in the alu cone behind the dust cap. Very clever. Bumped back plate too, talking about bumps. You'll like it.

About pierced poles: if done wrong, the tube through the pole will form a Helmholz resonator with the space between pole piece and dustcap.

Last edited:
Joachim,

I ordered two of these and they measure pretty much on spec, which is what I know Peerless for.

It is a very well made driver with the leads to the VC woven into the spider. For woofers, this is a big thing; flapping leads can be a important contributor to distortion and other artifacts.

The only reason I have not applied it yet is because I am working on another prototype right now, but I think it is highly recommendable, certainly considering the price.

Did you test drive these Peerless units yet?

With all this discussion about the breakup mode I'm surprised that no one has mention the downfall of using such a driver. Point: Even if this peak is out of band and shunted into oblivion frequency wise, whenever a lower frequency transient crosses the wavelength of the break up it creates distortion in the audible band. TIM distortion.

I personally choose drivers that have an absolute minimum breakup for this reason. Think Lynn Olson chooses his the same. At least that was the reason why you can't build the Ariels today for the lack of suitable replacement drivers without horrid breakup.

Flipside of that coin finding what I was looking for, the driver choosen has a classic motor without faraday shielding, giving rise to all tall order harmonics. To solve that pickle 4 of my drivers will have the motors pole modified. Modeled in FEMM and to the machine shop down the street to have the pole piece made into a T with faraday shielding added.

Comments, thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.