Best 1000$ bookshelf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I've been itching to build my second set of speakers for about a year now. My first build was a kit, lower end (200$) from Zalytron some years ago. I'm not yet ready to branch out on my own, so am going to be sticking to a existing design for this next one.

I have my building materials/tools already, and can afford 500-1000$ this time around for drivers and crossovers. I was looking at Paul Carmody's Carreras, but I only have about 2 feet behind the speakers to work with, and am worried the rear port won't have enough room to sing.

I have spent a lot of time researching, looking at different builds, but when so much moolah is on the line, I'm having a hard time making a final choice.

So I'd like recommendations for your favorite bookshelf speakers in this price range to help me make my choice. I'd love a build you've found where the vocals shine. Thanks so much!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
"Best" is not possible as there is always something better. But very very good or extremely good is more appropriate. Is $1000 price including labor to build cabinet or just parts and wood?

This is a rather large bookshelf, but it is one of the best speakers I have heard that can sit on my kitchen shelf. I built it for just under $1000 in parts/wood/cabinet maker labor.

Simple Passive Harsch XO Using PTT6.5 and RS28F in a Waveguide

If you use passive radiators, it is smaller but the sound is not anything like a TL.

856179d1593297126-simple-passive-harsch-xo-using-ptt6-5-rs28f-waveguide-cf790e3c-21c3-4918-bb37-81eac893bc89-jpeg

Last edited:
I was looking at Paul Carmody's Carreras, but I only have about 2 feet behind the speakers to work with, and am worried the rear port won't have enough room to sing.

Ports only need enough space to not impede the air flow or act as a continuation of the port. 4" distance from the back wall would be sufficient for proper port operation, so 2ft will have absolutely no effect. Paul's Carreras are good speakers.

From your comments, a 2-way using the 7.5" Satori MW19P-4 $184 midrange with the Satori TW29RN-B $146 tweeter is worth your review. Troels Gravensen designed/built the "SBA MW19 Studio Monitor" with these drivers. He used a cabinet with a stepped baffle for tweeter-midrange time alignment. Rounded edges are typically added. A ported 0.7 - 0.8cuft cabinet produces -F3 ~45Hz. No baffle step was included in the example since this speaker is ~2ft from the rear wall. Slanted baffle designs do not provide great tweeter-midrange time alignment for close-in listeners(desktop).

The crossover slopes are steep enough for you to also look at the flat baffle plus truncated pyramid type cabinet Troels used on his "Illuminator Monitor" design to reduce edge distortion.

Attachments

• MW19P monitor.jpg
    MW19P monitor.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 945
Ports only need enough space to not impede the air flow or act as a continuation of the port. 4" distance from the back wall would be sufficient for proper port operation, so 2ft will have absolutely no effect. Paul's Carreras are good speakers.

The Carreras are very nice, but the port is not the problem. They are a full baffle step design and will sound a little muddy that close to the wall. I prefer mine about 4' into the room but 3' will do on stands. I would definitely not use them desktop.

If you enjoy wood work.

On the web there is a "Pharaoh" speaker design which uses the Satori MW19P-4 midbass in a trangle shaped cabinet with a stepped front baffle for time alignment.

Member Pida uses the MW19P-4 with a tweeter waveguide cut into the front baffle which also provides T-M time alignment.

Attachments

• Pharaoh Cabinet.jpg
    Pharaoh Cabinet.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 537
  • MW19P examples.jpg
    MW19P examples.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 627
Joined 2004
Paid Member
MerlinPrimus:

If you aren't in a rush, you might want to consider waiting for Joe Rasmussen to reveal his updated Hamlet design. I've built Joe's Elsinore loudspeakers and they bettered my Egglestonworks Andras (this according to virtually everyone who compared the two speakers in my main listening room). I understand the Hamlets are a large bookshelf loudspeaker and, if they turn out half as good as the Elsinores, they may well be a spectacular choice.

Joe periodically provides updates regarding the Hamlets in the Elsinore thread. He has a lot on his plate and there may be delays, but the reveal is expected very soon.

In any event, good luck with your hunt.

Regards,
Scott

The Bliesma T34A-4 tweeter costs > $500.... For this total < $500/speaker goal I was pitching the Pharaoh cabinet construction with the Satori TW29RN-B $146 dimpled dome tweet plus the MW19P-4 $184 midbass. It is easier and cheaper to cut bevels on the cabinet edges to reduce distortion than to pay $100-$150 for a 1" - 1.5" radius quarter round router bit. Naturally...."smoke-them if you got-them"

From Russia.. ... around 22 construction pictures

Pharaoh ldsound.ru (8) | ldsound.ru
========
If you had bi-amp equipment supporting complex bass equalization you could build an aluminum cone Kii3

So, how important is strong, deep bass for this room usage?
SB26ADC-4 $50.20 Aluminum Dome Tweeter
SB17BAC35-4 $70.45 __6.2" aluminum cone midbass
SB23BAC45-8 $109.45 __8" aluminum cone woofer
SB23BAC45-8 $109.45 __8" aluminum cone woofer
..................... $340

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.