Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
markus76 said:
The DCX has several problems that make the device difficult to integrate with a home hifi:

- Hardware bug in CS8420 chip when using the digital in
- Balanced XLR in/out

Hi,

The digital input problem is solved when you use Frank Oettle´s mod for the input (which also includes a very low jitter clock). Details are on my website and at www.pilghamaudio.nl .

In my mod you can use either balanced XLR or (with an adapter or modified cable) unbalanced RCA inputs, for input and output. Also, you can with the remote also set the analog input level to maximize input dynamic range.
Again, see my website.

An added advantage is that my remote will let you separately set the levels for each stereo output pair to compensate for different amp and speaker sensitivities. Once you´ve done that, you can just raise and lower the level and/or change balance and the level offsets remain unchanged.

Jan Didden

markus76 said:
I have encountered it with 3 different units. It can be very subtle. Even Cirrus itself describes the bug here: http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS8420_F4.pdf

Adapters don't help in matching levels correctly. In the worst case you'll overload the inputs of the device following the DCX and kill your speakers. At best you'll have a bad (low) signal to noise ratio.

Looked over the linked data sheet above, but could not find where Cirrus documents the error. What section are you referring too?

Thank you,

-David

Re: volume control for multiple outputs

lawbadman said:
I want to use the DCX for bi-amping plus subwoofer. So I will need to control all 5 outputs at the same time. I know that digital pots (PGA2310 etc.) would be the easiest solution but I have read that their sonics are not so great.

What do you guys use as volume control for multiple outputs???

I like this unit. I use it with SoundEasy when running in its digital filter mode. It can handle up to 8 channels.

MSB MVC - Discrete Analog Volume Control

Dave

how is this dcx work for me?

Hei, I'm wonder if the DCX is some thing for me.

My system is.

Talk Electronics, this is analog all the way, I only have coax from my cd-player, so I have to use analog in to the DCX. I wil use it between the pre-amp and the power-amp.

My speaker is Magnepan MG12.

I'm testing a DEQ now, and this do many things good, but I don't like the sound from it, compare with my cd-player without det Behringer. The sound is "metallic".
Is it the DAC who make this sound, or is it the auto-eq that make the sound?

As I see the DCX have the same dac as DEQ...

Re: how is this dcx work for me?

HoJ said:
Hei, I'm wonder if the DCX is some thing for me.

My system is.

Talk Electronics, this is analog all the way, I only have coax from my cd-player, so I have to use analog in to the DCX. I wil use it between the pre-amp and the power-amp.

My speaker is Magnepan MG12.

I'm testing a DEQ now, and this do many things good, but I don't like the sound from it, compare with my cd-player without det Behringer. The sound is "metallic".
Is it the DAC who make this sound, or is it the auto-eq that make the sound?

As I see the DCX have the same dac as DEQ...

In my experience the DEQ room correction make up for bad chips. At least in my living room.
But if you don't like the sound from the DEQ with flat EQ you have to prepare to mod the analog board on the DCX.