battery amplifier, searching an IC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
if you want to know how can a standard 9V battery with 500mAh can deliver the desired audio power, you can watch the following youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBeniBaiUFw

which shows the very high power efficiency of the current assisted linear amplifier.

It is a middle of the road class AB amplifier - nothing special at all - with the mediocre efficiency characteristic for that topology.
And certainly not class A anyway.

Your proposal using two 9V blocks to achieve 8W power over a longer period is a false claim.

Please stay away with your stupid marketing claims.

There are a lot of different circuit topology besides the class AB, such as

Super Class A, New Class A, Class A++,

and a particular implementation of current assisted Class A has been implemented by QUAD405. If you don't understand why it is called current assisted Class A, or why it has better sound quality and power efficiency than that of the Class AB, you may want to study their "stupid" marketing claims.

If you want to try a CS6A4983 amplifier with two 9V batteries and see how long it can run, you can contact Profusion, or Eltim Audio.

and a particular implementation of current assisted Class A has been implemented by QUAD405. If you don't understand why it is called current assisted Class A, or why it has better sound quality and power efficiency than that of the Class AB, you may want to study their "stupid" marketing claims.

If you want to try a CS6A4983 amplifier with two 9V batteries and see how long it can run, you can contact Profusion, or Eltim Audio.

Not stupid marketing claims simple conservation of energy, do the math yourself how many joules in a 9V battery, and how many joules to do a full 8W rms for 6 hours. Your example, a couple of computer speakers playing at a comfortable level, uses way less power than you think.

If you are playing sin wave and looking for 8WRMS output power. Sure, two 9V batteries won't last for long. But music is very dynamic. The peak to average power ratio of typical music is 4:1 (check it out yourselves in Speaker power handling < Pro-Audio References ), which means that the amplifier does not always output 8WRMS. Modern amplifier typology such as Current assisted class A can adjust the power consumption based on the required output power, similar to a dynamic biased class A amplifier, which helps to reduce power consumption whenever the output power is not 8WRMS, and thus provide the required play time.

You may want to read http://www.rocketroberts.com/techart/powerart_a.htm
to understand that due to the dynamic of the music, the amplifier seldom calls upon the peak output power, unless you are listening to sin wave. In that case, you may want to "conserve" your hearing first, as listening to high power output sin wave is hazard to hearing ability.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010

The data sheet gives indication that this amp is something between class AB and class A, i.e. it provides a sliding bias circuitry dependent on power level. There is nothing new about that.
No numbers are given concerning efficiency vs power output.
All in all it is class AB with reduced cross-over distortion.
Efficiency cannont be better than a standard class AB.
Nothing that qualifies this chip for high efficient battery use.
So what?

You can write up a summary from nothing, but can't read the datasheet to understand how the amplifier work.

Here is a summary written by the editor in PSNE, which will provide you the necessary words that you are looking for, such as Class K (an equivalent term for current assisted Class A), and high energy efficiency.

https://issuu.com/newbayeurope/docs/psne_june_2015_digital/34

Just get one and try it, and see if you can appreciate the energy efficiency of this amplifier IC.

You do not have to care for the details of a specific class-d-amp
the wattage is a matter of battery voltage, impedance and half/full bridge topoly.

Assuming 12V supply and a gain of 20dB (10x), full bridge topology:
Output swing is <12Vpp * 2
Input level for clipping thus is 24Vpp/10 = 2,4Vpp i.e. approx 1Vrms.

So if you pre-amp delivers more output voltage, the power amp is overdriven.
Depending on your speaker this may sound more or less awful.
But no prob as long as kept insde the allowed range.

To make things simple I state any pre-amp supplied with 9~12V will do the job.

Thank you Voltwise, that's the answer I was looking for!
(and sorry for my late answer)

I appreciate all the help!
For this first project I think I'm gonna use the TPA3125

To keep the forum clean I opened another thread for the actual design of the amp.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/inst...ing-battery-guitar-amplifier.html#post4753443

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.