Bass Reflex Fane sovereign Beyma Cd10FE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first Post on the forum. I have spent many hours reading and have learnt a great deal from this community. So thank you everyone!

I hopefully have attached my design of a two way speaker. I am trying to create a speaker that is clean and dynamic. Building the crossovers was the major breakthrough its enabled me to tame the compression driver and i think the cone breakup of the midbass. I will continue to tweak the response.

One aspect i'm not sure of is whether there is a disadvantage of separating the high and low pass to tame the rise in sensitivity of both drivers at the crossover frequency? I am also need to change the lpad to give more attenuation the details of which are in the attachment. any idea about what power rating the resistors will need to be? should i use two 20w cement resistors in parallel and double the resistance accordingly?

Both the document and the design are very much a work in progress but any input into improvements would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Attachments

• speakers2.pdf
    638.9 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
I have not come across any designs with this driver. Only attempts at bass units for PA. I picked it because I had read that a mixture of high BL (17.5) and high QMS (8.1) would help produce tight bass in a reflex cabinet. These drivers are far from flat though, I need would to get a proper measurement mic to really test.

Yes , it seems to adapt very well to your specifications but as far as ""drivers are far from flat"", well... that's the nature of the beast. I can't consider a 25dB swing a very flat output curve.
You must have plans for the low frequencies with woofers/subs because your ~F3=68Hz. Too far out?

Attachments

• Fane Sovereign 10-275 10 275 W.jpg
    Fane Sovereign 10-275 10 275 W.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 532
  • FANE SOVEREIGN 10-275, VB = 33.0 L, FB = 53.0 Hz, 92.6 dB2.83Vm..jpg
    FANE SOVEREIGN 10-275, VB = 33.0 L, FB = 53.0 Hz, 92.6 dB2.83Vm..jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 513
That's interesting, I have not seen that graph before. I have only seen the one produced by Fane, they are very different! My predicted bass response is very different too. Listening to a sweep I can hear the response dropping after about 100hz. I'm not sure if the predicted response is correct!

Have I got my simulation wrong you think, If so can you see my mistake?

Attachments

• fane responce.jpg
    fane responce.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 482
  • bass respone.jpg
    bass respone.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
"I found a third party measurement of the Fane 10-275 providing high quality MLSSA graphs:"

Thanks for that! A Very good website. I have simulated the response using these third party Parameters and they look to match the measurements I have taken.

The response at 50 Hz is 9dB down matching what I can hear. Bellow 50hz there isn't anything going on.

I'm shocked how very different the manufactures data sheet is! Is this often the case

Can anybody recommend a good direction in which to take this project? I am open to suggestions. Am I barking up the wrong tree with the 10" driver from a small CAB ? Perhaps a 12" driver would be more rewarding in the long run..

I follow Ingvars Ahlberg projects very closely, the 10" faital pro gunsinger look Epic. Not sure how low it goes but I would be very content Living with those.

HiFiForum.nu - Två Halmstadflyttar och en björn i Nissan

Or the duel 10" Beautiful!

HiFiForum.nu - Två Halmstadflyttar och en björn i Nissan

Attachments

• fanebass3rdparty.jpg
    fanebass3rdparty.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 405
  • overlay.jpg
    overlay.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Just sketched a design, heavily influenced by the designs I just posted.

75L CAB roughly, did not work out the port sizes. This design would be shallow enough to be against a wall and not stick out to much into the room. And low enough to not stick out to much, a nice black cloth grill and wood finish. Would blend in nicely.

I simulated a Faital pro 12PR310 and a Beyma Sm122 ( looks a bit of a dedicated sub maybe?)

Attachments

• 75Liter cabinet drawing.jpg
    75Liter cabinet drawing.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 75l cabinet.jpg
    75l cabinet.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 111
Can anybody recommend a good direction in which to take this project? I am open to suggestions. Am I barking up the wrong tree with the 10" driver from a small CAB ?

Don't give up too quickly. You have the drivers and a nice cabinet of reasonable size (ok, 12 mm wall thickness is meagre). Simply use the tone controls, an equalizer or an active filter to boost the range below 100 Hz and you are back on track!

High efficiency drivers in small cabinets always lack of bass.

Thanks for your encouragement,
I don't like to be wasteful so have taken great care to pick what I thought were the right drivers. So its disappointing to find the specs are misleading.

I will keep listening and decide if I would like more low end. I think I probably will! I use my Grado 125 headphones as a reference as well as pair of old Sonab speakers and some Celestion Dittons. I find it very useful to keep swapping to keep my ear tuned..

I love the bass on the grados its not big but its very clean, I have wrapped tape around the ear cups which takes out the peak at 2Khz and boosts the bass. Recommended mod!

I follow Ingvars Ahlberg projects very closely, the 10" faital pro gunsinger look Epic. Not sure how low it goes but I would be very content Living with those.
I simulated a Faital pro 12PR310 and a Beyma Sm122 ( looks a bit of a dedicated sub maybe?)

If you are looking for something nice, I know you are in the UK but who cares, why not making use of the best if you are looking for that low end. One idea with a pro driver is the already suggested here
MC CAULEY 6232, in a BR VB = 97.0 L, FB = 26.9 Hz

Attachments

• MC CAULEY 6232, VB = 97.0 L, FB = 26.9 Hz, 88.9 dB2.83Vm.jpg
    MC CAULEY 6232, VB = 97.0 L, FB = 26.9 Hz, 88.9 dB2.83Vm.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Thanks Inductor, going for a sub is a whole other story. I would then be better with alternative mids. Too many options and combinations, I know what sort of sound I would like. A dynamic physical sound more like live sound. I have more of that with my current 10" CD setup than contemporary lower end hifi, I believe.

TQWT

A TQWT with the Fane sovereign 10 - 275 (Apologies for poor image quality)
The only additional investment was £20.00 for a sheet of MDF.

My initial impression was good. Bass extending down to low reveal new notes. The bass is audible even at low volumes and has a different quality than my bass reflex cabinet. The cabinet lacks the punch of the reflex design..

Attachments

• 10tqwt.jpg
    10tqwt.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Edit1.jpg
    Edit1.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 240
  • tqwt101.jpg
    tqwt101.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 235
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.