Balanced F5 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There exists software which converts ACAD to Gerber. The problem is that it does not create all the other files like components prints, drilling pattern, etc. So the only proper way to do it is to redo the PCB in a proper PCB software, but following my layout, more or less mm to mm. The reason for the exact copy is that the layout as is fits certain housing design, and also the track width for the high current part is important.

This is probably the easy part. I have at least one volunteer contacted me by PM. But if you want to do it, Tim, that would be great. So items (2) & (4) pending.

Patrick

PS You have to ask the person who came up with the idea of 2SK2013/2SJ313. I have not built it, so I do not know. But as far as I know, they are not true complementary pairs. 2SK1530/2SJ201 is.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
well, it is nice to see people stepping up. We are now aware of this project and will support it the best we can.

It can certainly be put in the store, and in the long run will be a great contribution. In the short term I'm really busy for a couple of weeks. At the moment I am in Denver at the RMAF so can't do anything. This shouldn't matter much as the whole process will take a while.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We can order the boards, but usually we don't order a prototype. Don't know how that works.

Now I would request something:

I have been working hard to make all our future boards fit a standard for output device spacing and mounting holes. This way the members can easily update an existing chassis to try a new design, and possibly encourage more chassis options. EUVL: could you send me a copy of the ACAD file? (I use ACAD 2003)
I wouldn't share it with anyone, I would just like to see how close it might be. Or I could send you a diagram of our "standard" and you could see if you can live with it. Sounds like you may have a chassis already picked out! If it is just a matter of having a second set of holes maybe you wouldn't mind..

mc

Send me your standard and I'll check.

Yes, we have a standard mini-tower that fits one board for mono-blocks. A mini-version of this :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/166784-pictures-your-diy-pass-amplifier.html#post2186736

The overall size is about 400mmH x 350mmD x 170mmW

The board is now 120 x 82 mm. Perfect fit.
Housing will take a 650VA toroidal, plus caps, soft start, speaker protection, .... etc.
Heatsinks are Fischer SK56, 350mm long, 0.27°C/W per side, or 0.14°C/W per housing.

And you have PM,
Patrick

Last edited:
> He already asked that "person" but the guy wants to make sure if the "person" knows what he is talking about...

Then he should have asked Nelson and not me. How would I know better.
It is here the Pass forum after all.

Patrick

I got much respect both of you and I am In no way of doubt
the reason I ask Is because everyone knows better design he built
and that what I want Is to unite both designs - good points with Patrick - balanced and optimized at 6 Ohm, but maybe adding more pairs would be better; Juma design use very linear figures devices but power of amp Is not enough
thank you Juma and Patrick

Conditions 1~3 OK. At least 2 options for (3).
Have already communicated with Variac. No real problems.

Any volunteer for (4) -- first build and report ?

Patrick

I will be happy to do it, since I already have built my balanced F5, and would like to compare it with this new version. I also have test cases ready to go with IRF complimentary pairs installed, waiting for a test. :p

AR2 gets my vote if only because of more experience.

But you need to be prepare to do it my way, and that means Toshiba MOSFETs.
You will get a set of JFETs from me with the correct Idss to go with the 5R degeneration, at nominal costs.

Give me a few days to sort out the layout issues with Variac, and then we can go ahead. ;)

Patrick

AR2 gets my vote if only because of more experience.

But you need to be prepare to do it my way, and that means Toshiba MOSFETs.
You will get a set of JFETs from me with the correct Idss to go with the 5R degeneration, at nominal costs.

Give me a few days to sort out the layout issues with Variac, and then we can go ahead. ;)

Patrick

Thank you.

Even better, I will be able to hear the difference between the two. To correct myself, from the previous post, my F5 is bridged to be precise and not balanced. I will wait for your further instructions.

PS I will be able to put in good use your jFet heat spreaders, that I have!

AR2

Last edited:
You can jump start by getting yourself a set of 8 matched 2SK1530s/2SJ201s at the Vendors Bazaar.
As said, you get the JFETs from me.
You will also get a set of Futaba MPC74 power film resistors matched, again at cost.

The rest will come later when the layout is finalised.
Mostly PRP resistors which is easy to get in the States..

The layout will retain the current limiting circuit in the original schematics.
I leave it up to you to decide whether to leave this out or not.

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.