Baffle step diffraction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cool. BTW - I targeted an average 87dB sensitivity for your design. This is on the basis that if the Volt is 91 dB in the midrange, you'll typically need 3 - 4 dB of baffle step compensation so that the speaker doesn't sound thin (proportional midbass) given the gradual change from 2 pi to 4 pi radiation below the baffle step.

So your tweeter at 91.5dB will have no problem matching the 87 dB system sensitivity and requires attenuation as I've included to match in the form the of the tweeter series 2.2 ohm resistor.

Either way you have a couple of crossover options to try. Cheap caps and coils are fine. I think I went with a series resistance of an iron core inductor (i.e. lower) for the 2.2mH woofer inductor. If you want to go air core and thinner gauge wire (i.e. higher impedance) - I can plug that number in so you can see the effect.

Funnily enough, Dave - I’ve just posted a question regarding the costs of capacitors v measurable performance.

My plan is to build my speakers and try both crossovers you and Steve have set out. I intend to get a mike so I can measure . What software would you recommend?

Funnily enough, Dave - I’ve just posted a question regarding the costs of capacitors v measurable performance.

My plan is to build my speakers and try both crossovers you and Steve have set out. I intend to get a mike so I can measure . What software would you recommend?

I use Speaker Workshop. But I am a rare species :)

A lot of people use Room EQ Wizard or ARTA. The parts express forum has a lot of active users and I think each of these products have forums of their own for support.

You typically need:
1. An omnidirectional condenser (capsule) microphone. I use a Behringer ECM8000 - self calibrated (against a known tweeter since the top octave the ECM's typically have an artificial rise)

2. A mic pre-amp with phantom power (between +15 and +48 V)

3. A hard wired sound card with line in and line out (not mic in / headphone out as you don't want on-board preamplification) if you are going to use measured phase. I found USB devices due to the timing on the bus cause inconsistent pulse response between measurements, meaning measured phase for xo simulation becomes useless. you can HBT extract minimum phase though as a workaround. I use an old Lenovo PC with a PCI sound card and get impulse responses consistently at 2.2msec from pulse generation to measurement.

4. Cables - I use a 10m XLR from mic to pre-amp then home made unbalanced RCAs to the sound card and normal RCAs to my amplifier

5. An amplifier to drive your speakers for FR measurements. Impedance measurements possible too, but my soundcard has enough grunt for these

6. Software - as above.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.