Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
as August said ...

speaking of one channel :

100R trimpots are for buffers , initially upper one (on schematic) set to 0 , confirmed with ohmmeter across R5 , while lower one set to max , confirmed with ohmmeter across R4

2K (1K for Babelfish M25) is for Iq , initially set to 0 , confirmed with ohmmeter , whichever way you find most adequate

10K (or 20K , as sent in last shipments) is for output DC offset , pretty much irrelevant initial setting

I'm finding easiest pre-set of trimpots is while pcbs still aren't mounted on heatsinks

physical position of trimpots on pcb ( screw where arrow on pcb or rotated for 180deg) is pretty much non-important ..... I'm anyway lousy at planning and remembering that orientation thing , always looking at multimeters to decide in which direction to turn them
dunno , most probably years of service work ...... it's easier and faster this way

Next little step ...

preview

Waiting for xformer from diyaudio memeber generg ;-)

Joined 2016
Paid Member
My PSUs are almost ready now as well ... :)
(Have some Motor Run Caps on order, to be placed at the back of the amp, and to have the Fastons from the PSUs connected to. From there to the amp boards then ...)

attachment.php

2.5 mm^2 wires soldered directly to the solidcore wire on the underside of the PSU boards. Bleeder resistors and some film caps also soldered from underneath. ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Have started stuffing the amp boards, but waiting for some more parts from Mouser and Reichelt ... :p

Best regards,
Claas

Attachments

• PSUs in Amp case.jpg
    PSUs in Amp case.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 515
  • PSUs.jpg
    PSUs.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 553
  • PSUs underside.jpg
    PSUs underside.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 535
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have a place on one of my boards, I thought it was a deformed solder pad, but under magnification it looks like some of the blue mask has come off or is missing?

For some reason, I cant seem to upload pics...never been a problem before, I keep getting the "Aww snap" thing. Tried rebooting, incognito page, original settings etc. but no help..

I will when I can. Is the missing mask a problem?

Russellc

Joined 2016
Paid Member
if you're going to put motorruns , all those wimas are unnecessary

Yeah ... that was just my usual modular thinking to have the PSUs as building blocks that could be re-used by themselves ... :p

how's Diyaudio pre-drilled heatsink against my pcbs?

Haven't tried yet ... boards are still in their frame. Once I'm finished stuffing them, I will remove the heatsink from the case, deburr and smooth the output transistors' mounting area, and drill & tap one more hole for the THF-51S. Then I will be able to report ... :D

Best regards, Claas