B20 missing from PE catalog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got the latest parts express catalog the other day (along with my very cool little Dayton T-amp... the extruded aluminum one with gold plated banana plugs) and leafed thru it only to find the Pioneer B20 was no longer there... only the new GRS 'copy' of it. I do see the B20 on sale for $19 but wonder if this will eventually become a discontinued item or pe will just stop carrying it? Many of the other Pioneer drivers were no longer in the catalog either. I plan on buying the GRS (which is out of stock at the moment) and hope it will perform as well (or better!) than the more expensive B20 but will be disappointed if the B20 is no longer available. Mine are nearly 10 years old and in perfect condition but i always thought they would be available forever to DIYers. Anyone have any additional info?

Zilla

Ugh, what a disappointment! I noticed a while back that the 4" Pioneer fullranger disappeared too.
Ditto on the interest in the GRS 8FR (after all, I think you found this driver through a thread I started for it not long ago). So, be sure to let me know how it turns out after you get them!

I guess it's discontinued because somebody realized they are too good for the money. So, there will be two new models in the future. Model 1 will be even cheaper, but rubbish sounding, and another "premium" model will sonically be just a bit better than a B20, but will be 10x more expensive...

I hope I'm wrong...

The B20 is discontinued. I called PE and they have 'just over 20 left'... get them while you can!

I am using the pair i have for a project going into my older son's room.

I will order the GRS 'copy' and see how it sounds. I have a pair of GRS drivers that look good but never hooked them up. I hope they represent good value since they are pretty inexpensive. Here's hoping!

Based on measured B20 Vs published 8FR-8 specs, only if some series resistance is used, otherwise it will be somewhat under-damped due to the cab being too large/low tuned.

From a box design POV then, it seems a good replacement since it allows more box tuning flexibility with existing cabs and smaller, more efficient alignments with a T/S max flat alignment being close enough to the Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs one I prefer. :D

GM

I guess it's discontinued because somebody realized they are too good for the money. So, there will be two new models in the future. Model 1 will be even cheaper, but rubbish sounding, and another "premium" model will sonically be just a bit better than a B20, but will be 10x more expensive...

I hope I'm wrong...

This sounds all too likely. Considering how active Pioneer has been in launching new raw speaker components in the last 30 years I would hope they've noticed a new market and are going for it since they know how to make a better sounding B20 by now.. Either that or the DIY scene isn't anywhere near the size I suppose and they just dropped it because.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.