B1 with Korg Triode

Oh. My. That sounds verrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice. I know I'll eventually want to run it through a distortion analyzer ( dont have one yet ), but I am more than happy with how it sounds now. And could be content with it as such for a very long time. Still more than enough gain with my vfet amp.

For the pics or it didn't happen crowd:

Attachments

• Nutube_2.jpg
    Nutube_2.jpg
    878.4 KB · Views: 1,165
Congrats to delecoy!

BK

Thank you! And many thanks to you again, for your contribution. :)

As for the sound...very detailed. Points of reference are a DCB1 and a BA3-FE. Given the many ways to build those, dial them in, and pair them up - I will not say better or worse. Too many variables. But I will say, in my system, it yields the detail of the DCB1 with the warmth of the BA3-FE. Which I like. A lot. My speakers are terribly positioned ( for bass response, at least ) but don't have any close walls to the side so tend to throw a good sound stage unless something is wrong. They're pulling the full disappearing act right now. As with all combos that dredge a lot of detail: GIGO. But throw it a nice track from a good source and you will be rewarded. Very.

Its also been playing cartoons half the day, with aplomb :D

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    990.2 KB · Views: 1,085
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Need a bit of help,

I'm just about done stuffing the board but can't figure out the exact placement of the capacitors. I'm not smart enough yet to read the schematic....

Here is a picture with each capacitor labeled C1 to C8.

Can someone help me fill in the blanks or correct my mistakes?

C1
C2
C3 - 1000
C4
C5
C6 - 2200
C7 - 2200
C8 - 2200

The BOM's listed 4 2200 caps and 4 1000 caps so it has me thrown off.

Thank you !

Kevin

Attachments

• Capacitors.jpg
    Capacitors.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 1,020
Regarding the 10uF output cap, if you hang this output to a power amp with 10 kOhms input impedance your -3dB will be 1.6 Hz. 10k will be dominant to the 221k or 332k output resistor to ground.

Another topic. I guess NP has all he can desire. But nevertheless this group should find something for him. I propose the ones who think this is a good idea goes to the local record shop or flea market or whatever, and sniff up some native CD or LP and send it to him. Some recordings you belive he does not have, and that you think he will enjoy.
He has given us so much, and probably he gets some ideas and fun in return, but, anyway, just what I though was a good idea.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I believe NP's updated schematic stated that ALL those particular caps C1-8 on the Christmas board are 1000 microfarad, but larger values to 2200 for the C6-8 are OK. The original circuit diagram cited some 2200 caps, but the specs were modified for the newer board.

I like big capacitors for supply filters, but I have to balance this against
the wall-wart supply characteristics. Numerous of those will not charge
the large caps because their protection circuits trigger on the high inrush
at turn-on, even through they are more than adequate at steady state.

Board and JFETs arrived today. Just want to take this opportunity to thank Nelson, qwertyl, Soundhappy and anyone else who has helped make this happen.
I'm new to this hobby, Pete Millet's Nutube buffer was my first build, and excited about getting stuck in and seeing what Nelson's circuit can do.