B1 with Korg Triode

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Driving my ACA with the B1. Built it as an integrated amp. I really like it.

But I hate soldering those little tiny pins for the Nutube!!!!

I can't hardly even see them!!!

Thanks for a fun project.

(BTW, I've been complimented that my builds look like rat's nests, thank you.)

Actually, given how rusty I am on soldering and how busy I am, I wonder if I could get someone to built the kit for me. I got it from the DIY store.

Now, don't blame me, I would love to do it, but working from home all these months I'm finding that we're putting like 60 hours a week and the last thing I want to do is spending more time in the home office (where I got the bench) than I have to.

BTW wired it up straight. Invert to invert. So in phase. Didn’t follow the ACA instructions.

Dan

Driving my ACA with the B1. Built it as an integrated amp. I really like it.

But I hate soldering those little tiny pins for the Nutube!!!!

I can't hardly even see them!!!

Thanks for a fun project.

(BTW, I've been complimented that my builds look like rat's nests, thank you.)

This is surely the best way to spend one's time on Saturday.

Time to cook dinner. I'll check for magic smoke tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20201031_180306.jpg
    20201031_180306.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 468
Switched on this morning and no magic smoke, so a good beginning.

All test points from T1 to T7 reading as they should and a nice glow from the left side heater. The right side illuminates initially and then dims after a moment. The voltage on T8 at the mid-position on the right hand pot is 3.3V. If I turn that pot fully anticlockwise, the value at T8 is 7V at best. The heater glow increases with T8 voltage but still doesn't match the brightness of the left hand one.

I've lifted the board and rechecked all the joints, which were all checked during the initial assembly. I reflowed several which were probably okay anyway, just in case. Same results on powering up after this.

I also checked all resistors before insertion and have rechecked their positions this morning. Everything is in the right place.

HELP!

Or more politely, any suggestions as to the possible cause please?

Attachments

• 20201101_092903.jpg
    20201101_092903.jpg
    912.3 KB · Views: 453
Look at 10 uF cap in the center right side have reverse polarisation :)

Many thanks to you, Soundhappy. You do indeed have sharp eyes. Having sent the image from my 'phone, I hadn't realised how shakey it was. I completely misssed that. Item turned the right way round and voltages and heater glow matching now.

I am very, very grateful to you.

Time to let it warm up, settle down and hopefully I'll hear some music later today!