B1 with Korg Triode

I thought they would bypass the active output stage, as MUSES offers that possibility (didn't they say "no active device in the signal path")?

It would really be a nice project here if someone would offer a non expensive (eg 40$ DIY?) volume control based around that MUSES chip... sadly lack the talent for it.

But with all these preamp projects, I feel this would be a nice addition on DIYaudio to have a standard (non exotic) quality remote volume control option, a complete one ready to go so any non experienced builder could benefit from it...

Just thinking loud - is there any echo :)

Claude

muses/Preamp-Control-Unit

hello claude,
here is the echo :)

I have developed a muses volume control.
it is a module concept, from only volume control to complete preamp control.
I'm about to write a description in English, had hoped to get it ready yesterday,
but still need a little time, as it will be very extensive.

juergen

muses/Preamp-Control-Unit

hello claude,

As I said, it's all modular.
you can only start with the volume control, and build the next expansion stages later. I'll finish the translation tonight and post it here.
for operation a linear +/- 15V power supply is needed, which I will also present with a description.
for the nutube preamp I have also developed a linear 24V power supply, which is also presented.
a GB is possible if there are some who participate.
because the whole control is software-based, the microcontroller would have to be programmed and sent to solder, or I solder it myself. should the muses chip also be there, or should it be a complete kit to share with everyone? Basically, I'm willing to do that.

I'm going to make a list of what possibilities there are, and I'm going to see what the cost would be.

regards
juergen

Linear and logarythmic pot don't follow the same attenuation curve hence one sounding louder than the other and angular progression from the operator leading also to different volume progression.

Log pots are prefered in audio because human beings perceive sound loundness more in a log way... why did you go for a linear pot?

Claude

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Linear and logarythmic pot don't follow the same attenuation curve hence one sounding louder than the other and angular progression from the operator leading also to different volume progression.

Log pots are prefered in audio because human beings perceive sound loundness more in a log way... why did you go for a linear pot?

Claude

To add to this, audio taper can be different than logarithmic taper. An audio taper tends follow the log taper until you get close to the "mute" point. Then the rate of attenuation increases faster than a strict log taper. I believe the implementation of this can vary between manufacturers.

I installed Tocos potentiometers RV 30 YN B 50K (linear),why is the sound so high at the beginning ?Alps blue 50K (log) voice is much lower.

With two resitors you can make stereo linear potentiometer react in more logarithmic way.
You need experiment and find resistor value..~ 7K5 ?
but is simple parallel connection between point 1 and 2 of the potentiometer.
See in Rod Elliott article extract :) Have fun

Attachments

• D8A7EEC4-BEF4-4C5F-AAD0-0D0B79219259.JPG
    D8A7EEC4-BEF4-4C5F-AAD0-0D0B79219259.JPG
    484.7 KB · Views: 761

Claude
I remembered that the power of the Sound is lineral,I bought the wrong one.

To those who already have the B1 Kit:

May I ask if it emits any heat at all (PCB, Nutube, other parts)?

I am asking because I plan to put it in a chassis without any hole vents in it (to minimize any sound/vibrations going in, as well as for aesthetics).

But if it emits even just a little heat, then I'll be forced to put in a few hole vents in the casing.

It sure emits heat so you need vents for air to get inside or for heat to escape. Mine barely gets warm to touch even after each three to four hours of listening and it sitting very close between two hot running ACA 1.6s. Enjoy your build.