B1 Buffer Preamp

Professor smith said:

That is kind of you, however, it appears that you are willing to give alot away for free which is interesting given that most people would try to maximise their profits. Out of curiosity why is it that you choose not to focus on this aspect of maximising profit and instead give things away for free?

Of course nobody is complaining.

:cool:

SHHH!!!Better stop professing...get to know what is divine!!!:angel:

Professor smith said:

Why are the tracks so thin and the traces of the holes so thin?

They look fragile.

And why did you choose to do double sided?

Its only using .02Amps at 18-24V so at all times less than a watt. At that low voltage there is almost no chance of electricity jumping to a nearby trace so they can be super close and with nearly 0 amps there is no chance of burning a trace. So they can now be close and thin. However, relative to, lets say your motherboard, this thing is nowhere near fragile. Those are hefty traces and could handle decent power even if that were an amp rather than a preamp. But the pre amp is mostly signal right? And signal is great on thin traces.
Two sided is really easy to layout. Anytime you think you worked yourself into a corner on the top you can just drop a trace to the bottom layer on the next component and avoid the problem. Plus when you are getting them professionally made I bet you can get great rates on double sided since most board houses will do high volume in double plus sided boards and not so much in single sided.
Uriah

Question:

Can this buffer do balanced signal? The pictures I've seen posted look like they only have rca inputs/outputs on the device. I'm trying to build some variant of the Aleph x and think this would be a great device to pair with it. Currently I use a passive preamp in my system, so I'm very interested in hearing what a difference this could make.

hi,

as i mentioned, the B1 was the first circuit, I ever tried on perfboard. I just did "painting by numbers" diy before with pcb´s made by some cracks (and I had even to learn a lot, just to manage this!).
Well, my B1 (what shouldn´t be named "B1" at the moment) showed some misbehaviour. First, I got 24 VDC on every in–and output. That is a nice feature to deliver current to different toys, but i still wantet it to behave more like a buffer. :D
I rechecked the wiring and fixed some mistakes. But in trying to understand some fundamentals, I came across a problem, too big for me at the moment:

Look. There is a wiki-Jfet Symbol. The "arrow" of Gate is in opposite from Source. The
symbol below is quotet from the B1 schematic. It shows Q 101 with Source and Gate connected (in order to the wiki symbol). But Nelson wrote that Gate has to be connected to Drain.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
[/URL]
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
[/IMG]

So I stuck. Maybe "Source to Gate" is like soldering a red wire to starground, but that´s my level now. So what´s wrong. The Wiki -picture, or did I do some "misreading symbolx" (of course i did). Some help now? ( I go into the books tomorrow ;) )

proud success in one channel:D
crystal clear sound and absoluteley no hum, even with my crappy board. Together with AJ-clone there is absolutotally no noise. I´m listening via two speakers but mono, due to having just one channel. Compared to my alephP clone, first ear tells me a little less body but more air. It brightens up my Fullrangers a bit what is very pleasent and fresh.
The other channel got killed while measuring :bawling:
I´m using a 50k linear pot, and rise of volume is very fast. Maybe some prefers a log-pot.
thanx to Nelson for sharing B1, and for holding back the pcbs long enough to make me start my perf-board adventure :)
stefan

systemerror909 said:
Question:

Can this buffer do balanced signal? The pictures I've seen posted look like they only have rca inputs/outputs on the device. I'm trying to build some variant of the Aleph x and think this would be a great device to pair with it. Currently I use a passive preamp in my system, so I'm very interested in hearing what a difference this could make.

Can anyone answer my question? I'll probably consider building one of these anyway, but I'd like to know if its possible to make this for a balanced signal.

Thanks

Kinnja said:

Did you get around to trying the J113?

I'm thinking about the J211, Idss 7-20mA, gfs 6-12 mmhos.

The J211 works. It sounds very good. The improvement makes me think I did have an impedance matching issue.

Partially complete with a wall wart delivering 30V DC, and without R4 and the LED.

I ordered 24 J211's and found 4 between 13 and 14mA Idss so I used those.

Can anyone answer my question? I'll probably consider building one of these anyway, but I'd like to know if its possible to make this for a balanced signal.

John Brosky has an interesting balanced follower version that you might be able to convert to a balanced B1 - see diagram at the bottom of this blog: http://www.tubecad.com/2008/03/blog0136.htm

Not sure yet how well it would work, though, especially balanced in - balanced out but it is supposed to suppress common mode signals. Comments, anybody ?