B&C DCX464

Still using the 462 :) .

Limmer 264 is hard to beat regarding size, directivity and bandwidth. And it has the 294 brother, which is not far behind.

So I have not looked any further, because this works for the 15" utility box as well the hornloaded 2x 12" ( hopefully ).

My bad, forgot you're using 462.

I'm gonna ask B&C if they will sell the adapter alone, because I have a pair of 2" DDS horns i'd like to try....by looks and pattern alone, the dds appear like maybe a big 30" wide version of the Limmer 294.

The 464 works nice on the rcf hf950 and the xt1464 (ala Peter's boxes).
Works great on all my synergy tries too. Interesting subtleties between it and the bms 1.4" coax.

Any subjective impressions of the 462? I have a few 2” horns I’d like to try it on. But maybe the 464 will work just as well, I’ll need to buy more horns however...

The benefit of buying the 462 is you get an adapter for very small increase in cost.
Then you can also buy the Emminence and 18sound versions of an 1.4" to 2" adapter.

This will give you 3 different slopes to experiment with. And if you find an 1.4" horn you like better, you can have that cake too.

The drawback of 462 is, that B&C mounted the mesh on top of the adapter.

Subjective impressions with levels bearable up to 5m: Very, very, very nice. Background: DE700/800/920/980/990, CP755ND, 1460 and 1460NSD, 4015NSD, 2450.
Caveat: I´m not a hifi guy

Impressions with listening distance up to 40m will be collected tomorrow, if weather allows for.

Forgot DE1050 and 4592

Last edited:
Its a mildly pinched throat design that ads a small diffraction, so by locking at it there is potential to get an even directivity in the top as well.

It will be made off polyurethane and have a 75x55 degrees directivity and with a price point lower than the driver. That’s all info so far.

Last edited:
Impressions with listening distance up to 40m will be collected tomorrow, if weather allows for.
Tomorrow turned into yesterday.

Weather could not really decide for rain or wind or just stay clouded, so we reduced the test setup to just one stack consisting of 2x double 15" BPH, 2x 12" hornloaded top with 462 on Limmer 264, driven by 2 channels of Delta 80DSP for Top and one channel of PKN XE6000 for BPH´s.
Nominal load HF 16 Ohm, MF 4 Ohm, LF 2 Ohm.

Real world impedances are quite different because of hornloading and the passive crossover for 462.

BTW I spent some days on delving deeper into the passive Xover design for 462, trying to understand why Bennet Prescott would recommend crossover just below 4k like Mark mentioned somewhere and to understand the discrepancy in the distortion measurement between Vance Dickason and Joseph Crowe.
In the end my MK2 crossover ended way more complicated than MK1 version:
7 parts without HF protection :D
and I beg to disagree with Mr Prescott, but believe to understand, where he is coming from.

The key point for me was to question my measurement method for the individual passbands and maybe Mr Dickason was making the same mistake.

Anyways BTT the open area was a little bit disapointing, because we could walk only about 22m away from the stack, after that the area went downhill, another 3m and you couldn´t even see the stack anymore.

Setting up crossovers, measuring on axis, left, right, up, down, listening, tweeking again took about two hours.
Setting up limiters consisted of giving the 2x12" section everything the amp could deliver and the limiter for 462 according to spectral content, which ended about 10dB less.

And then the big disapointment happened:

two hornloaded 12MH32 were backing off while the 462 was laughing at me, it just kept going.

Crossovers were around 130 and below 900Hz, slopes set for acoustical targets not some fancy theory.
I did not save any curves, so I have nothing to show, but you wouldn´t believe the directivity behavior anyways.