axiom 301

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A nice bit of research there Duo.

Well, you won't need my encouragement to keep an eye out on Ebay for a second 301! You do see single units on offer but if you can get a pair for what I saw recently (45UKP) you'll even have a 'spare'.

I agree, it's a rare case that a single speaker keeps your attention for very long in this day of stereo and surround sound.

I'm not saying the 201/301's are the perfect drive unit. Like all speakers they are a compromise but if 'how it sounds' is more important than 'how it measures', these will get you as close to the music as any!

Well, thought I'd post an update to this thread.

My axiom, I found out, was abused a bit by a previous owner.
And, I also had a little accident with it and a bad amplifier.

The construction of the driver has about a 2mm length of bare voice coil former between the spider and the cone. This section of cone was collapsed on the side because of a bad bottom-out.

This only became apparent after it started to get soft from my listening to it. The highs were dropping down and the thing even started to vibrate after a while.:bigeyes:

It was driving me nuts so I took it out to have a look. I tested it and even had a friend who is good with speaker repair look at it.

After hours of talking and testing, my friend decided that the voice coil was loose. I simply wasn't satisfied with that verdict, so I sat for three more hours poking, tapping, testing, and voila, I found the true problem.

After removing the dustcap, I saw a nice straight krinkle line around the inside of the coil former. The cone had also come loose in a spot and was rapping against the former.

All I did was run a nice bead of plastic cement around the top of the spider where the cone connects. This made the cone stick to the former properly, and held the collapsed paper nice and flat so that the high end is bright again.

Now, I'm more impressed with this driver than ever before. It literally sounds like there is also a good tweeter with the driver. The highs are clean, defined, and good to the ears. The mids are very smooth, clear, and expressive. The bass is strong, tonal, responsive, and pleasant.

Sorry about all the bragging, but this speaker brags for itself with its sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.