Audiophile Ethernet Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did read and comment on what was said.
Post #3 I believe -
Every single packet is received by the buffer in the streaming device BIT PERFECT!
How can you possible improve a perfect copy?
Use $50.000 on cables and at least half that on other tweaks. Just don't waste money on things like that. You are making us all look incredible stupid.
and this -
.....Hence a change in packet switch can only affect audio systems which are misusing Ethernet.
Stuff got posted before I finished composing my response which was about improving AC power longitudinal leakage and I suggest that as sound technical explanation for the noted 'impossible' subjective improvements even if I did not explicitly state that, I assumed that the reasons for the earth bonding and Double Insulated references would be understood by those skilled in the art, evidently not.
I offered advice/confirmation to the OP and you get all offended ???.
Also BTW please define just what is 'misusing Ethernet' ?.

Dan.

Last edited:
I cannot for the life of me remember what it is. Some German made, preterminated CAT-6. Seemed cheaper than to buy a new crimping tool. Nothing even remotely audiophile, yet it made a big improvement over what was there previously.
Yeah, that's what I had in mind, decent standard pre-made cable from anywhere should be perfectly fine.

Any ideas about what was wrong with the first cable ?.

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
improving AC power longitudinal leakage
Dan.
may point to the right direction. Generally these 2-prong AC-Adapters delivers much common mode noise perceived as "100Hz hum" (120Hz respectively). Connecting the secondary circuit of the switch with PE should help by redirecting these currents to mother earth. Or buy a better one with a 3-prong AC-Adapter. These effects may be quite real and do not relate to any mysterious "digital distortion".

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If the proponents the tweaked hub are to be believed then I can expect an improvement, if I were to run my flac files through it, relative to an untweaked hub. Can they tell me what improvement I can expect with my pdf files?

I've seen some PDFs changing the font from Verdana to Times Roman with a high-end Ethernet cable. Let me tell you, the improvement was not subtle! :cool:

Jan

It may appear to fly in the face of logic, but different ethernet cables do make audible changes in SQ.

The reason is the same reason that causes different power supplies or audio distributions to change the sound of network streamers: Noise signature.

Ethernet cables do transmit data but in order to do that they also transmit EMI/RFI noise. This noise eventually finds its way into our dacs.

Different cables make for different filtering of this noise. It is that simple.

The same applies for active networking devices (switches, routers, etc). The more quiet their power supplies and circuits, the less noise they emit.

Status
Not open for further replies.