Audio Tester Software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I just wanted to ask about speaker workshop --> When I enter the speaker parameters, it just accepts them, if I try to plot the crossover response, I get nothing, the same happens when I want to start with enclosure design and response plotting.

May be I am missing something here, for sure...

Thanks

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Metal,

In order to do crossover modeling you need to have actual driver response data (as far as I am aware), unless you just make some target repsonses and associate them with the driver.

Once you have your driver parameters in then you should be able to model a box, You need to add the driver to the box first though. I sugest you take a look at jays speaker workshop manual http://www.audiodiycentral.com/resource/SWmanual/Speaker Workshop Manual 1.0.zip or Claudio's speaker workshop pages... http://www.claudionegro.com/

Tony.

One comment:

The updated new and vastly improved Unofficial Speaker Workshop manual should be posted within the next 2-3 weeks. I have worked hard to get rid of the bugs, update the spreadsheets, and clarify any confusion that people have noted in posts or emails over the past year and half since it was originally posted. Nelson and Claudio helped immeasureably.

Jay

I will be releasing a second edition to the Manual. I was originally going to separate out information that helped to explain why we do a lot of the procedures that we do but I opted to leave that information in as I did in the first edition.

I am working on the Table of Contents and internal links. Other edits and corrections have been made. Once complete, the 2nd Edition will be released (I anticipate prior to Xmas).

Jay

Hello

I tried that too, I read some things in the manual that stated that the software needs a unit to work with, which is shipped when buying the software, but seems good one, and writen in C ;) also the software has many options that make it fabulous, and its not that expensive as other softwares, so I think its a good deal to have it on your desktop :)

metal said:
Hello

I tried that too, I read some things in the manual that stated that the software needs a unit to work with, which is shipped when buying the software, but seems good one, and writen in C ;) also the software has many options that make it fabulous, and its not that expensive as other softwares, so I think its a good deal to have it on your desktop :)

Metal,

Nothing special is required to use Loudspeaker LAB just the standard impedance jig that all the programs require. I hooked up a modified Wallin jig and it worked VERY well. The calibration procedure is very simple as well.

Also I took a look at ARTA tonight this looks extremely promising. I'll likely have a chance to make some measurements tomorrow.

G.

Gcollier said:

Metal,

Nothing special is required to use Loudspeaker LAB just the standard impedance jig that all the programs require. I hooked up a modified Wallin jig and it worked VERY well. The calibration procedure is very simple as well.

Also I took a look at ARTA tonight this looks extremely promising. I'll likely have a chance to make some measurements tomorrow.

G.

As I said before, my sound cracd is not appropriate for ARTA, LS LAB, and some others in deed, I already built the JIG II, and tested it on another PC which has a better sound card with Speaker Workshop, and it worked fine, as well other softwares did, but as long as I don't want to change my SC, I will be happy with LPMS, take it easy my friend, things are mch easier than I thought they were, so bring it up :)

LS LAB and ARTA are both promising in deed, as you can see, many people use them, a friend told me that LS LAB was very goog, he used version 2 as I remember, and when I asked him about speaker measurements, he directed me there, but my self, I have not dine much work with it.

bye G,

MetaL

For those who have difficulty building the jig for SW (or other measurement software), Claudio Negro has a cable set up that should not be difficult to use or to "build". It requires no more expertise than "building" a crossover. You can see it at his home page, www.claudionegro.com, or in the Speaker Workshop Manual.

Regarding measurement software, keep in mind that there are many people out there who have built wonderful speakers from soup to nuts with Speaker Workshop. Its data is reliable for those who take the time to accurately calibrate (this is required for all software, free or not). Though there are bugs, they are few and generally identified with most of the fixes also described. The newer free software may be good, but you will find far less support and documentation available at this point. I think that the Manual and Claudio's website significantly decreases the learning curve. The 2nd Edition of the Manual will do so even more.

Jay

JMB said:
For those who have difficulty building the jig for SW (or other measurement software), Claudio Negro has a cable set up that should not be difficult to use or to "build". It requires no more expertise than "building" a crossover. You can see it at his home page, www.claudionegro.com, or in the Speaker Workshop Manual.

Regarding measurement software, keep in mind that there are many people out there who have built wonderful speakers from soup to nuts with Speaker Workshop. Its data is reliable for those who take the time to accurately calibrate (this is required for all software, free or not). Though there are bugs, they are few and generally identified with most of the fixes also described. The newer free software may be good, but you will find far less support and documentation available at this point. I think that the Manual and Claudio's website significantly decreases the learning curve. The 2nd Edition of the Manual will do so even more.

Jay

I certainly can't argue that Speaker Workshop is great...it just isn't the most intuitive program I have ever used. Granted we all think in different ways. Add to fact that it is free and you have a real winner for DIY.

While we are on the subject of measurement software...can anyone recomend a good firewire or USB soundcard for use with a laptop. This will be primarily for measurement purposes. I'm perfectly satisfied with my current setup for doing impedance measurements on my desktop PC, but I would like to do some quasi anechoic frequency response measurements outside using my laptop. The internal soundcard just isn't linear enough for me.

G.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.